function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris987654321Chris987654321 

apex:pageblocktable

If I use 

<apex:pageblocktable>

the behavior is that it will let me put a value which can be associated with an array in my controller so it will be a variable number of rows depending upon how many elements are in that array.

Is there a way, instead, to have value indicate how many columns I have. I essentially want to flip what the rows and columns are. The reason is because in the table I want a variable number of columns and a set number of rows because I know that there will be more rows than columns. Even though the number of columns would be variable, it will be no more than maybe 6 or 7. But my number of set rows will be about 20. So it would be hard to read if there are 20 columns and only 6 or so rows. 

I saw a dir attribute on pageblocktable, but that said it indicated left to right. Any help would be appreciated. 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Hmmm.  I think you'll need to use apex repeat components to do this - I can't see how you could dynamically write the columns in such a way that would be turned into HTML - you'd need 2 pass rendering really.

You can do this through repeat components and standard HTML table tags though - I've done something similar to display a month's worth of data in a diary type view - iterating the weeks, then for each week, output a row that iterates the days.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

This has cropped up a number of times in the past.

The solution is to carry out the transformation in your controller.  E.g. you would create a custom class that contains a field for each column, then create a list of these classes with each element in the list representing a row of data.

I see now what you're saying; however, the problem is that I do not have a predefined number of columns. So creating a custom class with a field per column is not possible. I could create a list in my custom class but I don't think my pageblocktable can deal with a list of columns.

Bascially I am trying to make a custom report for our sales team where the x axis is salespeople (there is no predetermined number...it will query the User table to get the list) and the y axis would be a set number of pieces of information.

Example: Imagine this is a report where I could have a variable number of salespeople across the top in the x axis, but a set number of things in the y axis

Chris Bob
Number of Leads64
Number Contacted33
Percentage Contacted5075

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Hmmm.  I think you'll need to use apex repeat components to do this - I can't see how you could dynamically write the columns in such a way that would be turned into HTML - you'd need 2 pass rendering really.

You can do this through repeat components and standard HTML table tags though - I've done something similar to display a month's worth of data in a diary type view - iterating the weeks, then for each week, output a row that iterates the days.

This was selected as the best answer
Yes I see. I thought I may need to do repeats. I have done that once before. I just thought there might be an easier way. Thanks for your time.
Message Edited by Chris987654321 on 03-31-2010 10:12 AM