function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeeedeeeJeeedeee 

Function call in rendered attribute possible?

Hi all,

I am working on a VF page with a lot of different modussus. Depending on the modus certain information should be shown. So I was thinking, and I thought I found a cool way how I could accomplish this. I created a function with a string as argument, and returns back if the element should be rendered or not.Using this function, the VF code should stay clean.

But when I try to use this function in my rendered attribute, it's not working :smileysad:. When I try to save (in eclipse) it says "Unknown function renderMe. Check spelling.".

Does anybody has any ideas, before I have to go and put everything in the rendered attribute itself over and over... Bleh that's gonna look dirty, I don't like to go that way :(

VF code:

<apex:page standardController="Account" extensions="AccountExtension" >
	<apex:commandButton value="Gegevens bewerken" action="{!enterEditMode}" rendered="{!renderMe('1')}"/>
	<apex:outputLabel value="" rendered="{!renderMe('1234')}"/>
</apex:page>

Controller code

public class AccountExtension {
	private static final String MODUS_1 = '1';
	private static final String MODUS_2 = '2';
	public String currentModus {get;set;}

/** This method is used by the visual force components to determine if these can be rendered or not. 	*/
	public boolean renderMe(String modusses) {
		if (modusses.contains(currentModus)) {
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}
}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
User@SVFUser@SVF

JD,

I am sorry that I overlooked the code. As per the limitations of vf, we cannot pass the arguments from visualforce to apex. we have to use apex:param tag to pass the parameters if we have to. you have to either user param tag for passing the parameters and for rendering you can use rendered = "{!renderMe}". or if you want to check the condition in the vf page rendered = "{! IF(renderMe == '1', TRUE, FALSE"} (your method in the controller should return string type)

another thing is that, in your visual force page, you will have to include the apex:form tag inorder to include you command button tag. 

All Answers

User@SVFUser@SVF

Hi  schreurs_jd,

In your vf page code, you are calling renderME with arguments while that is not defined in your extension. try the below code

<apex:page standardController="Account" extensions="AccountExtension" >
	<apex:commandButton value="Gegevens bewerken" action="{!enterEditMode}" rendered="{!renderMe}"/>
	<apex:outputLabel value="" rendered="{!renderMe}"/>
</apex:page>

I am not sure on how you are getting the current Modus. If that is being calculated correctly, the above code shud hide/unhide ur command button and output label based on renderMe property.

JeeedeeeJeeedeee

Hi,
Thanks for your answer, but I don't understand your answer completely about that I don't have defined it in my extension. I have defined a function which returns a boolean. Then I would like to use the function rather than setting and reading a variable (the standard way). I would like to use that function in my VF page..

I was just curious if it is possible to use a function, and hoped that somebody could answer this. But time to search the internet a bit more and try some other things now.

Greetings and thanks, JD

User@SVFUser@SVF

JD,

I am sorry that I overlooked the code. As per the limitations of vf, we cannot pass the arguments from visualforce to apex. we have to use apex:param tag to pass the parameters if we have to. you have to either user param tag for passing the parameters and for rendering you can use rendered = "{!renderMe}". or if you want to check the condition in the vf page rendered = "{! IF(renderMe == '1', TRUE, FALSE"} (your method in the controller should return string type)

another thing is that, in your visual force page, you will have to include the apex:form tag inorder to include you command button tag. 

This was selected as the best answer
JeeedeeeJeeedeee

Hi N V Prudhvi kamal K,

Thanks for your answer, I wasn't really aware of that limitation. Have to read a little bit more about it :).

Going now fo the complex if statements in my visual force page now.

Thanks!