function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AleeaAleea 

Columns of 4 in Page Layout

Good day. Hye I'm new in this area and i'm about to create a VF page that will create 4 columns in Page Layout.

I want to know what is the language being used in creating a Visualforce Page. Does it using Java, Javascript, HTML or etc etc? Can we randomly choose what sort of language to be used in the system? Or does we able to select which language that most preferable? Or does it only stick to only one language? And I would like if you could re-confirm me the way of doing it. 1) Need to embed the code in the Apex Classes 2) Go to the respective Object and select the Trigger section and embed another code to call the code in the Apex Classes * Am i in the right track?

Can someone please guide me on this..

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
rmehrmeh

Hi,

This is absolutely possible. First i am clarifying your requirements tell me if i am going wrong somewhere.

• Creating a custom VF page which displays 4 columns.
  • Put an 'Add' button at the top of the page.
  • Add button should display an additional row with the same fields so that the user can create a new record there itself.

If my above assumptions are correct, here is what you need to do:

• Once you have created the visualForce Page, make use of <apex:pageBlock>
  • Inside the <apex:pageBlock> make use of the <apex:pageBlockTable>.
  • Inside the <apex:pageBlockTable> make use of <apex:column>. So in your case you will define 4 columns inside your pageBlockTable

I suggest you completing this first and clarify if you have any further doubts on it.

All Answers

rmehrmeh

Hi,

I think you have a some misconceptions about Salesforce.

• First, VisualForce itself is a language used for UI purposes. You can embed javascript, css,ajax in your visualforce also. The basic working of visualforce is that we have certain tags provided by salesforce which in turn gets embedded to HTML. So even if you write a piece of HTML code in your VisualForce Page, it will execute it. But since salesforce has provided its own language, HTML code should be used to its minimum.
  • For more detailed study on VisualForce and its tags, I would request you to download the Visualforce Developer's Guide from the link provided below:
  • http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Documentation
  • For your actual question of creating columns of 4 in page layout, can you explain in detail what is your actual requirement as i dont think you need to do the way you have mentioned below.

Will be able to explain better if you could mention your requirement more elaborately.

I hope i have answered your queries.

AleeaAleea

Thank you for the response. Here's the case. I've created a custom object named Issue Object and in the Issue Object, i would like to create another section called Corrective Action and want it to be in four columns where it is easier for the user to key in their record.

This is something that I have come out with, in the Page Layout, is it possible to create 4 columns which consist of Action (Text data type), Action by (Text/lookup data type), Status (Picklist data type) and Due Date (Date data type). And if that possible, i would like to create the 'Add' button on top of the columns/table as once the user need to key in more actions, they just need to click on the Add button and another row will be appear. 

Your guidance is so much appreciated. Tq.

rmehrmeh

Hi,

This is absolutely possible. First i am clarifying your requirements tell me if i am going wrong somewhere.

• Creating a custom VF page which displays 4 columns.
  • Put an 'Add' button at the top of the page.
  • Add button should display an additional row with the same fields so that the user can create a new record there itself.

If my above assumptions are correct, here is what you need to do:

• Once you have created the visualForce Page, make use of <apex:pageBlock>
  • Inside the <apex:pageBlock> make use of the <apex:pageBlockTable>.
  • Inside the <apex:pageBlockTable> make use of <apex:column>. So in your case you will define 4 columns inside your pageBlockTable

I suggest you completing this first and clarify if you have any further doubts on it.

This was selected as the best answer
AleeaAleea

Hi. 

Thanks for the guidance.Before that, i just want some clarification to where should i embed the code? Because based on my reading, the sample stated I need first to embed th code in the Apex Trigger before i called the code in the Trigger object. And you did mentioned 'Once you have created the visualForce Page, make use of <apex:pageBlock>, Inside the <apex:pageBlock> make use of the <apex:pageBlockTable>, and inside the <apex:pageBlockTable> make use of <apex:column>.

So in your case you will define 4 columns inside your pageBlockTable'. Does it means in order to create a VF page i need to make used <apex:page> or is it after creating the VF page?

And where exactly should i put all these code? Should it be in the Apex Classes or Component or Trigger in the Object?

rmehrmeh

Hi,

Firstly can you tell me where do you want to embed this functionality.

I mean where is the start point of it.

Does it start from a button click on a custom object/standard object or from a related list of a custom object/standard object.

Based on your above answer i will be able to guide you further.

AleeaAleea

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply. To answer your questions, I want it to be on the page layout. So I do made a trial and error by embedding the code in the location where the code can be inserted. And what I do is, I embed the code at Name | Setup | Develop | Pages and it shows no error. It does shows  4 columns but not in what I imagine it could be. Because the fields and the value boxes is located side by side. Or does it only shows the result like that?

Its still okay, and how should i add the 'Add' button as when the users need to key in another value, it will appear another row (inside the same column). Does it need to be make some modification on the code or simply create anothe custom button?

One more thing after creating a Visualforce page, what should i do next? Because once i click the new button, the VF page did not appear. It only appears once i save the record but still I couldn't enter the value inside the value boxes.

hunterhunter

I've been reading these posts trying to create the layout shown below which includes four columns (perhaps 8 if one counts the labels).    I've tried the apex:pageBlockTable, but I end up with an spreadsheet looking table instead.

I've even tried converting the standard 2 column layout via EasyPage so that I could edit it to look like the layout below.   No success.   Am I missing something with Visualforce?   I can create this via HTML without a problem, but can't get it to work with Visualforce....depsite adding the <apex:page> & </apex:page> markers to my code.

Does anyone have any example Visualforce code already made with multiple columns?  Any suggestions, guidance?

Example Layout

hunterhunter

To amend my last post...I figured out the code needed to make my page.    I didn't use apex:pageblocktable afterall.  Rather a combo of apex and HTML.

Mahesh.NallaMahesh.Nalla

Hi

I'm trying to do something like what you have posted in previous post. Could you please help me out with sharing the code for vf page.

Thanks

pacmanpacman

Would you share the code you produced?  We have the same problem.

Karan NaikKaran Naik
This might help you
https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5ItOEAV