function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lime CatLime Cat 

Custom object sharing, no __Share objects

I am having an issue with custom objects being visible to users who need to see them.  Here's my example:

I have a custom object Widget__c.

I have a page Widgets that displays a list of Widget__c objects.

I have an admin page that sllows system admins to create Widget__c objects through a custom wizard.

Desired behavior:

When a system administrator creates a Widget__C object it appears on the Widgets page in the list.

When a non-system administrator visits the Widgets page, they should see all Widget__c objects listed.

Actual  behavior:

When a system administrator creates a Widget__C object it appears on the Widgets page in the list.

When a non-system administrator visits the Widgets page, they cannot see any objects listed.

When I look into sharing issues I am reading that custom objects should have a Widget__Share object associated with them and I can create these shares to allow other users access to objects created.  When I attempt this in practice, however I don't have any Widget__Share objects.  I also do not see them in the schema browser in the Eclipse IDE.

I tried making the list page controller use "without sharing" which didn't change the outcome.

What can I do to have object created by a system administrator be viewable by other users of the app?

This is all being done in Developer Edition.

Lars SundbergLars Sundberg

Not sure if it's any help,  but I found that there weren't any Widget__Share associated with Widget__c until I set the organization-wide defaults to "Private" for object Widget under Security Controls --> Sharing Settings.