function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bboschebbosche 

Context-sensitive Visualforce Form?

I am using a Visualforce form page to gether information needed to quote our various types of products. Considering all of our various products, I only need to gather about 20 fields of information to define the required attributes to accurately quote any of them (limited example below). My challenge is that on a handful of attributes (fields) apply to any one product, and I do not want to be asking the user questions that do not apply to the product they want quoted.

How can I educate my one form to show or not show form fields based on a product code that is passed to the Visualforce form when it is generated?

I have looked at many Visualforce and apex samples, gone through the Componenet Reference, and attempted a number of approaches, but feel that I'm running in circles.

Record Type is not an appropriate choice, and dependint picklists would involve too many variables. I am hoping for some type of 'IF' or 'CASE' logic that is based on a table of include/exclude values for each product, but I am not sure how to make the IF or CASE piece work.

Thanks for your assistance.

<apex:page setup="false" showHeader="true" sidebar="true" standardController="Opportunity">
  <!-- Begin Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
    <apex:sectionHeader title="Request for Quote Questionnaire" subtitle="Complete **the following for a prompt and accurate quote for {!opportunity.Product_Code_List__c}"/>
    <!-- <apex:detail subject="{!opportunity.ownerId}" relatedList="false" title="false"/> -->
        <apex:form id="quoteRequestInfoForm">
            <apex:pageBlock title="quoteRequestInfo" mode="edit">
                <apex:pageBlockButtons >
                    <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
                    <apex:commandButton action="{!delete}" value="Delete"/>
                    <apex:commandButton action="{!cancel}" value="Cancel"/>
                    <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save and Request PM Assistance"/>
                    <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save and Submit Quote Request"/>
                </apex:pageBlockButtons>
                <apex:pageBlockSection columns="1">
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.Product_Code_List__c}"/>
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.Quote_Sub_Products__c}" />
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.QSmallest_Panel_Size__c}"/>
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.QHighest_Hole_Count__c}"/>
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.Q_Construction__c}" />
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.QCoppers__c}" />
                    <apex:inputField value="{!opportunity.QRequested_MCM__c}" />
                    <p>Additional Quote Instructions:</p>
                    <apex:inputTextarea cols="120" value="{!opportunity.Quote_Instructions__c}"/>
                </apex:pageBlockSection>
            </apex:pageBlock>
        </apex:form>
  <!-- End Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
</apex:page>

tom_patrostom_patros

This sounds like a good job for field sets. I could envision creating a field set per product type and then having some logic based on the incoming product type parameter to determine whether or not that field set is rendered.

Something like...

<apex:repeat value="{!$SObjectType.Opportunity.FieldSets.Set1}" var="f" rendered="{!$Currentpage.parameters.productType == 'ABC'}">
<apex:inputField value="{!Opportunity[f]}" />
</apex:repeat>

<apex:repeat value="{!$SObjectType.Opportunity.FieldSets.Set2}" var="f" rendered="{!$Currentpage.parameters.productType == 'XYZ'}">
<apex:inputField value="{!Opportunity[f]}" />
</apex:repeat>

bboschebbosche

Thanks for the lead, Tom. I have not yet explored Field Sets, but will do that. If anyone has a specific example of this working for a similar situation, I would appreciate it.

Bob