function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
lmjohnsonlmjohnson 

Enabling User input into a Visualforce email template

New to visualforce email templates. Have one developed by someone else and need to allow for user input. I have added the following code, and it lets the user enter information, however, does not post this information to the email when sending. Can this be done? HELP!!

<tr>
<td colspan = "3">
<textarea id="theTextInput" name="theTextInput" rows="4" cols="60"></textarea>
</td>
</tr>   

joshbirkjoshbirk

By user, do you mean the person getting the email? The kind of HTML you can put into an email is very limited.  This isn't just true for Visualforce - it's a limitation imposed by most email clients for security reasons.  So forms, JavaScript, etc., - are probably all out.  It's a lot hard

Probably need to put a link in the email to another page which can accept the output, a Sites based page if you need something public.

lmjohnsonlmjohnson

No I am not talking about the email recipient but the person in Salesforce sending the email. When they choose the template, I need to have the ability for them to add additional information that is not contained in a Salesforce field on the record. Hope that his clarifies.

joshbirk wrote:

By user, do you mean the person getting the email? The kind of HTML you can put into an email is very limited.  This isn't just true for Visualforce - it's a limitation imposed by most email clients for security reasons.  So forms, JavaScript, etc., - are probably all out.  It's a lot hard

Probably need to put a link in the email to another page which can accept the output, a Sites based page if you need something public.

joshbirkjoshbirk

Will need to be some kind of accessible field, or custom label or the like that Visualforce can access from the server-side.

lmjohnsonlmjohnson

So I have to have a field set-up in SFDC that it can post too?