function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jaanvivekjaanvivek 

what is "Custom Setting"?

Could anyone explian about "Custom Setting".

I have gone through the materials available over www but did not get exact information.

If anyone has worked on it, Pls explain following queries.

1- what is the Custom setting?

2- why we use it?

3- we have concept of custom objects and standard objects then why we need it?

4- what does it mean that " custom setting data will reside in "application cache"?

Thanks for your all help.

Thanks,

JaanVivek

Laxman RaoLaxman Rao

Custom Settings allows you to store custom data sets and associate them on an org-wide, profile or user basis. Custom Settings are essentially custom objects that are exposed in the applications cache and are accessible via their own API.

Using custom settings is much quicker and do not count against SOQL limits when fetched.

You can certainly build your own custom objects to store settings but using custom settings is much quicker.

You can refer this :

http://www.opfocus.com/2012/05/custom-settings-vs-custom-objects-in-salesforce-com/

https://help.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/cs_about.htm

jaanvivekjaanvivek

Thanks Laxmanfor your reply.

Custom Settings are essentially custom objects that are exposed in the applications cache.

I did not get the above bold lines.

Could you please provide some more real time explanation if possible.

Thanks,

JaanVivek

Laxman RaoLaxman Rao

To the best of my knowledge application cache is a smaller and faster memory which stores the data, while loading the app itself the salesfoce queries custom settings from database and keeps in cache memory.

when ever we access the custom settings, that data is fetched from cache memory but not the original memory(where the actuall data is stored), so it will be very fast and do need to query