function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
wedaftwedaft 

Question about how 'thisContactId' works

I have a master-detail hierarchy that goes: School Implementations-->Teacher Implementations-->Class Implementations. On School Implementations there is a look-up field called "Principal Name" that links to the contact of the school's principal. I would like to send the principal an email that contains several pieces of information about all of the class implementations at the school. Using gokubi's model (http://gokubi.com/archives/visual-force-email-templates-2) I have mostly everything set up correctly, I think. The problem is that my WHERE statement for theWholeList in my Apex controller ends up filtering out ALL results:

theWholeList = 
        [SELECT Id, Name, School_Implementation__r.Name, School_Implementation__r.Principal_Name__c, School_Implementation__r.Id FROM Teacher_Implementation__c WHERE School_Implementation__r.Principal_Name__c = :thisContactId];

When I remove the WHERE statement everything works fine (except for the fact that it gives me all class implementations for EVERY school, of course). Maybe I am misunderstanding how 'thisContactId' works? It doesn't seem to matching up with the recipient.Id in my email template.

Here's all the components:

Visualforce email template:

<messaging:emailTemplate recipientType="Contact"
    relatedToType="School_Implementation__c"
    subject="Update on your teacher implementations" 
    replyTo="trevor.gill@reasoningmind.org">

<messaging:plainTextEmailBody >
Dear {!recipient.salutation} {!recipient.lastname},

<c:classlist_controller ContactId="{!recipient.Id}"/>

</messaging:plainTextEmailBody>   
</messaging:emailTemplate>

Visualforce component:

<apex:component controller="TeacherlistatSchoolX2" access="global">
  <apex:attribute name="ContactId" description="This is the contact Id." type="Id" assignTo="{!thisContactId}"/>

[ Teacher Name ] - [ Grade ]
<apex:repeat var="cx" value="{!Classlist}">
[ {!cx.Teacher_Implementation__r.Name} ] - [ {!cx.Grade__c} ]
</apex:repeat>

</apex:component>

Apex controller:

public class TeacherlistatSchoolX2{

public Id thisContactId {get;set;} 
    public List<Teacher_Implementation__c> theWholeList { get; set; }
    public List<Class_Implementation__c> Classlist { get; set; }

public TeacherlistatSchoolX2(){
    theWholeList = new List<Teacher_Implementation__c>();
    Classlist = new List<Class_Implementation__c>();

theWholeList = 
        [SELECT Id, Name, School_Implementation__r.Name, School_Implementation__r.Principal_Name__c, School_Implementation__r.Id FROM Teacher_Implementation__c WHERE School_Implementation__r.Principal_Name__c = :thisContactId];

Classlist =
        [SELECT Id, Name, Teacher_Implementation__r.Name, Grade__c, Teacher_Implementation__r.Id FROM Class_Implementation__c WHERE Teacher_Implementation__r.id IN :theWholeList ORDER BY Teacher_Implementation__r.Name, Grade__c];

}
}