function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TrimbleAgTrimbleAg 

I want to learn.....

Just curious on the best approach for some one to learn VF along with the controllers? Night school? if so what types of classes?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Force.com_Tutorial:_An_Introduction_to_Visualforce

You can start at the link above for a great "getting started" tutorial (and links!).

I would recommend you understand the following languages before attempting Visualforce:

XML -- The standard that came after SGML and heavily influenced most modern protocols, learning XML will provide a solid foundation for learning HTML4/5, SOAP, and so on.

CSS -- A way to influence the colors, font styles, and so on within pages.

JavaScript -- The scripting language of the web, you might want to learn this if you'd like to make dynamic pages.

HTML4 -- The basis for most of today's Internet pages, it allows you to write pages.

HTML5 -- The new upcoming standard that has a ton of cool new features.

Java -- The core language of the Force.com platform, Java's syntax has heavily influenced Apex Code. Learning Java will allow you to understand Apex Code better, and also open the doors for creating external integrations later (along with learning XML).

Depending on your free time, you might learn all of this in mere weeks. Visualforce is a short jump past HTML4, and Apex Code is a short jump past Java. In fact, I learned Visualforce and Apex Code in about one day a piece (at least, enough to make pages) because I had a solid foundation of knowledge from which to build on. Of course, you can jump right into Visualforce and Apex Code, but it won't be as easy. Java, HTML5, CSS, and so on are offered at your local community college for a couple of hundred dollars each, or you can get books for about 19.99-69.99 on the above topics (I personally recommend O'Rielly's "IN A NUTSHELL" or "IN 24 HOURS" books, such as "JavaScript in 24 Hours" or "Java in a Nutshell", but please take a look for yourself).

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Force.com_Tutorial:_An_Introduction_to_Visualforce

You can start at the link above for a great "getting started" tutorial (and links!).

I would recommend you understand the following languages before attempting Visualforce:

XML -- The standard that came after SGML and heavily influenced most modern protocols, learning XML will provide a solid foundation for learning HTML4/5, SOAP, and so on.

CSS -- A way to influence the colors, font styles, and so on within pages.

JavaScript -- The scripting language of the web, you might want to learn this if you'd like to make dynamic pages.

HTML4 -- The basis for most of today's Internet pages, it allows you to write pages.

HTML5 -- The new upcoming standard that has a ton of cool new features.

Java -- The core language of the Force.com platform, Java's syntax has heavily influenced Apex Code. Learning Java will allow you to understand Apex Code better, and also open the doors for creating external integrations later (along with learning XML).

Depending on your free time, you might learn all of this in mere weeks. Visualforce is a short jump past HTML4, and Apex Code is a short jump past Java. In fact, I learned Visualforce and Apex Code in about one day a piece (at least, enough to make pages) because I had a solid foundation of knowledge from which to build on. Of course, you can jump right into Visualforce and Apex Code, but it won't be as easy. Java, HTML5, CSS, and so on are offered at your local community college for a couple of hundred dollars each, or you can get books for about 19.99-69.99 on the above topics (I personally recommend O'Rielly's "IN A NUTSHELL" or "IN 24 HOURS" books, such as "JavaScript in 24 Hours" or "Java in a Nutshell", but please take a look for yourself).

This was selected as the best answer
TrimbleAgTrimbleAg

Thanks for the direction, and all the time you put into your response!

PB