function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Salesforce Developer MOSalesforce Developer MO 

HelpText not displaying

Hello,

Im trying to display help text in a custom VF page, my code is below. I get an empty string even though the field has help text set on it. On line 2, the result is empty as well, I just wanted to see if anything would output from the $ObjectType reference but it does not.

Ive read through several other articles about this issue and the popular thing seems to be using an HTML workaround. I would prefer to use straight VisualForce if possible. Anyone know?

CODE

<apex:page Controller="MyController" sidebar="true" showHeader="true" standardStylesheets="true">
<apex:outputPanel >|{!$ObjectType.MyCustomObject__c.Fields.MyCustomField__c.inlineHelpText}|</apex:outputPanel> 
<apex:tabPanel switchType="client"  value="{!TabInFocus}" id="theTabPanel">
<apex:tab label="Integration Options" name="Integration" id="tabOne">

<apex:form >
   <apex:pageBlock mode="edit">

<apex:pageBlockSection columns="2" title="Contact Settings" > 
            <apex:pageBlockSectionItem HelpText="{!$ObjectType.MyCustomObject__c.Fields.MyCustomField__c.inlineHelpText}">
            <apex:outputLabel value="{!$ObjectType.MyCustomObject__c.Fields.MyCustomField__c.label}" style="white-space:nowrap;"/>
            <apex:inputField value="{!salesConnectSetting.MyCustomField__c}"/>
            </apex:pageBlockSectionItem>

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Your markup is working fine for me in my dev org - I have help set up on a custom field on a custom object and it comes through no problem.

Patronizing question I know, but are you sure you have set up the help text for the correct object and field combination (and not description, for example?).

The only othetr thing that springs to mind is Field Level Security.  Does your profile have access to that field?  A custom controller will ignore it, but the page sometimes honours it unexpectedly.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Your markup is working fine for me in my dev org - I have help set up on a custom field on a custom object and it comes through no problem.

Patronizing question I know, but are you sure you have set up the help text for the correct object and field combination (and not description, for example?).

The only othetr thing that springs to mind is Field Level Security.  Does your profile have access to that field?  A custom controller will ignore it, but the page sometimes honours it unexpectedly.

This was selected as the best answer
Salesforce Developer MOSalesforce Developer MO

My apologies, I forgot to come back and close the thread. I was just refering to the wrong object..which actually turned out to be a Custom Setting. Anyway - its working fine now as it is laid out below.