function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris760Chris760 

Salesforce Console URL Variables/Hacks?

In the standard salesforce view, you can use URL variables to populate certain list views on an tab.  For example, if you wanted to populate a certain list view on the Account, you'd set the URL to be "/001?fcf={List View Salesforce ID}.  As most on here know, you can use URL variables to select and prepopulate all kinds of things on list views and on records.

Then there's the standard Salesforce Console.  The Console seems to consist of a page called "DesktopPage", which is embedded with 3 iFrame windows (a list view, a main view, and a mini view).  Unfortunately, unlike the normal tab views, I can't seem to make the console do ANYTHING using URL variables.  Specifically, I'm trying to change the Tab/Object dropdown list to a specific object, and change the List View dropdown to a specific record.

Does anyone know of any URL variables or (if not URL variables) some kind of a way to accomplish the act of selecting the dropdowns you want when first opening the console?  If not, does anyone know of a way to execute a javascript "Mass Action" console button, or some other way to execute javascript on the console when the page first loads?

Any ideas or thoughts at all would be hugely appreciated.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox
The standard console isn't documented, nor is there any easy way to hack it with JavaScript. That's not to say that it "cannot" be done, just that the effort involved would likely outweigh the benefits. The new Service Cloud console, however, does have a full API, documented here: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_console/index.htm Given that this is most likely the "future" of console, they probably won't be releasing an API for the free console anytime soon.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox
The standard console isn't documented, nor is there any easy way to hack it with JavaScript. That's not to say that it "cannot" be done, just that the effort involved would likely outweigh the benefits. The new Service Cloud console, however, does have a full API, documented here: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_console/index.htm Given that this is most likely the "future" of console, they probably won't be releasing an API for the free console anytime soon.
This was selected as the best answer
Chris760Chris760

Thanks for the response sfdcfox.  The new service cloud console costs more though, correct?  I've already been tinkering with the standard console at length over the past week, trying to find some hole or work-around or way to get it to work, but haven't had much luck (although I've learned a lot about how the standard console works).

I'm pretty close to throwing in the towel, but I just noticed one final thing earlier today that I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on... so it appears as though you can add custom console components to the standard salesforce console, because the salesforce org I'm working in has Five9 as a softphone, and I see that the CTI adaper not only loads in the console onLoad, but once I start making calls on it, it begins navigating and manipulating the console components (bringing up records that match the phone numbers I'm dialing in the softphone window, etc).  

That makes me think that it might be possible to use that side bar/softphone compoent/iframe to do what I want with a little custom code, but I can't for the life of me figure out where I would write the code for that or where the Five9 component that runs that code is even stored.  Do you think that Five9 used an old API developers guide or something originally to know how to manipulate the standard console?  If so, do you have any idea where I might be able to get my hands on a copy of it, or at least know where the code for that component might need to be stored or setup in order to run?

Anyway, thanks again for your help!  You always have great answers.