function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Victor19Victor19 

Separation line between 2 columns in Visualforce Page

Hi,

I have created a Visualforce Page and within a page block section, I have 2 columns with different fields in each column. Everything works fine!

Is there a way to separate the columns like have a separation line in between the columns. Can someone suggest an approach that I can use to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
KemiKemi

Hi, so you are looking for a vertical line between all columns?  You can try a panelgrid and some css.  Something like this (I changed some of your fields because you were missing the __c at the end of some).

<apex:page standardController="Sample__c">
<style>

.tableStyle {border-collapse:collapse;}
.colStyle1 { width: 50%;text-align:left; padding-right:30px; border-right:1px solid #000;}
.colStyle2 { width: 50%; text-align:left; padding-left:30px; }

.rowstyle { padding:0px; }
</style>
<apex:form >
<apex:pageBlock title="Sample Edit" mode="detail">
<apex:pageBlockButtons >
<apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
<apex:commandButton action="{!cancel}" value="Cancel"/>
</apex:pageBlockButtons>

<apex:panelGrid columns="2" border="0" styleClass="tableStyle" width="100%" columnClasses="colStyle1,colStyle2" rowClasses="rowstyle">

<apex:outputLabel value="Name" /><apex:outputField value="{!Sample__c.Name}" label="Name"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Address" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Address__c}" label="Address"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Name of Organization" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Organization_Name__c}" label="Name of Organization"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Contact Person" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Contact__c}" label="Contact Person"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Date" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Date__c}" label="Date"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Zip Code" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.City_State_Zip_Code__c}" label="City/State/Zip Code"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Phone" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Phone__c}" label="Phone"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Fax" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Fax__c}" label="Fax"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Email" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Email__c}" label="Email"/>

</apex:panelGrid>

</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

All Answers

KemiKemi

Hey there, I'd probably use a pageBlockTable and add the border.  Would that work for you?

Avidev9Avidev9
Are you looking for something like standard detail page ?
If yes just add mode="maindetail" to your pageblocks.
Victor19Victor19

Hi Avi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried mode=maindetail in my pageblock and all I see is like vertical line separations between each row of fields. I would like to have horizontal line separations between the 2 columns I have just like a table.

My page looks like this:

First Name:                                                                                 Last Name:

Address1:                                                                                    Address 2:

City:                                                                                               Zipcode:

Phone:                                                                                          Email:

I need a horizontal separation for these 2 columns in my page.

I believe this is possible through CSS. But, I wasn't sure if VF had the functionality in it that we could use.

Please give me your feedback!

Avidev9Avidev9
Can you post some of your VF code ?
Victor19Victor19
Please find the code below. I don't have any breaks for the first 6 fields as I need to see them with a horizontal separation line between the columns.

<apex:form>
<apex:pageBlockSection title="SECTION A - PROGRAM/ORGANIZATION INFORMATION" columns="2">
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Name}" label="Name"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Address}" label="Address"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Organization_Name__c}" label="Name of Organization"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Contact__c}" label="Contact Person"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Date}" label="Date"/>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.City_State_Zip_Code__c}" label="City/State/Zip Code"/>

<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Phone__c}" label="Phone"/>
<br></br>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Fax__c}" label="Fax"/>
<br></br>
<apex:inputField value="{!Sample.Email__c}" label="Email"/>
<br></br>
</apex:pageBlockSection>

Thanks!
Victor19Victor19
Hi Avi,

I just realized salesforce provides horizontal line separations. I am looking for vertical line separations between the two columns.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
KemiKemi

Hi, so you are looking for a vertical line between all columns?  You can try a panelgrid and some css.  Something like this (I changed some of your fields because you were missing the __c at the end of some).

<style>

.tableStyle {border-collapse:collapse;}
.colStyle1 { width: 50%;text-align:left; padding-right:30px; border-right:1px solid #000;}
.colStyle2 { width: 50%; text-align:left; padding-left:30px; }

.rowstyle { padding:0px; }
</style>
<apex:form >

<apex:panelGrid columns="2" border="0" styleClass="tableStyle" width="100%" columnClasses="colStyle1,colStyle2" rowClasses="rowstyle">

<apex:outputLabel value="Name" /><apex:outputField value="{!Sample__c.Name}" label="Name"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Address" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Address__c}" label="Address"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Name of Organization" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Organization_Name__c}" label="Name of Organization"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Contact Person" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Contact__c}" label="Contact Person"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Date" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Date__c}" label="Date"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="Zip Code" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.City_State_Zip_Code__c}" label="City/State/Zip Code"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Phone" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Phone__c}" label="Phone"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Fax" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Fax__c}" label="Fax"/>

<apex:outputLabel value="Email" /><apex:inputField value="{!Sample__c.Email__c}" label="Email"/>

</apex:panelGrid>

This was selected as the best answer
Victor19Victor19

Hi Kemi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do see a vertical line separation between my columns.
The code that you suggested works for displaying fields with field label in column 1 and field value in column 2.
But i would like to see different fields in both the columns. As in, I want to see Field 1 in column 1 and Field 2 in column 2 something like the one below:

Column 1                                        Column 2
Address________________   I  Phone_______________

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

KemiKemi

Hi Victor, you may want to look into using apex:panelGroup in that case.

I haven't tried it, but I think that may help you get the label and outputField into one column.

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/index_Left.htm#CSHID=pages_compref_panelGrid.htm|StartTopic=Content%2Fpages_compref_panelGrid.htm|SkinName=webhelp

Victor19Victor19
Thanks for your suggestions Kemi. I used panel grids and pageblock section items and it worked.

Thanks again!