function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mbforcembforce 

Visualforce report to local excel file

Dear all,

I am trying to pass visualforce report data to excel file .I have given page section as below

<apex:page sidebar="false" showHeader="false" contentType="application/vnd.ms-excel#Report.xls" cache="true" Controller="Thecontroller">

and corrosponding apex class

public pagereference FetchExcelReport()
    {
    Pagereference Reportpage = new PageReference('/apex/ExcelReport');
    Return Reportpage;
    }

whenever I am trying to save the code (with ctrl+s) on page editor its asking for saving report.xls file, and that file is containing textbox, picklist, and other fields from visualforce pages. while I want only report rows to be saved in excel and only when I click a export button on report page.

please suggest.

Thanks,

Manish.

Val ValinoVal Valino

Create a separate Visualforce page with a controller that only gets the data you want to export in Excel. In the original Visualforce page, add a new button that will open the new Visualforce page in a new page. 

mbforcembforce

Thanks for the reply Val,

I have written the new page for result fields with following details and in original visualforce added button to extract report

<apex:page sidebar="false" showHeader="false" contentType="application/vnd.ms-excel#Report.xls" cache="true" Controller="Thecontroller">

public pagereference FetchExcelReport()
    {
    Pagereference Reportpage = new PageReference('/apex/NewPage);
    Return Reportpage;
    }

There is a search button on original visualforce page

If I click on Extract button before search its working properly and empty excel file is getting created, when i perform search by clicking search button and then click extract button to export report to excel...extract button is not working

can you please guide me what could be the reason.

Thanks,

Manish

Val ValinoVal Valino

Are you passing the searched values from the first page to the second page?

mbforcembforce

Hi Val,

following is my new page

<apex:page sidebar="false" showHeader="false" Controller="institutectrl" contentType="application/vnd.ms-excel#Report.xls" cache="true" >
       <apex:pageBlock >    
            <apex:pageBlockSection title="Results" id="results" columns="1">
                  <apex:pageBlockTable value="{!results}" var="r">
                      <apex:column value="{!r.Studentname__r.First_Name__c}" headerValue="Name"/>
                      <apex:column value="{!r.coursename__r.Name}" headerValue="Course Name"/>
                      <apex:column value="{!r.coursename__r.Start_Date__c}" headerValue="Course Start Date"/>
                      <apex:column value="{!r.coursename__r.End_Date__c}" headerValue="Course End Date"/>
                      <apex:column value="{!r.coursename__r.Course_Fees__c}" headerValue="Course Fees"/>
                      <apex:column value="{!r.Studentname__r.Date_of_Joining__c}" headerValue="Joining Date"/>

</apex:pageBlockTable>

</apex:pageBlockSection>
       </apex:pageBlock>
</apex:page>

Please suggest how to pass searched value.

Thanks,

Manish

Val ValinoVal Valino

You can either pass the searched text from the first page to the second page or you could pass the list of results. You can add it as variables in the URL.

mbforcembforce

Hi Val,

strStudentName, strCoursetName, strStartDate,strEndDate  are the searched fields and Following are their gettersetter

public String strStudentName{get;set;}
public String strCoursename{get;set;}
public Date strStartDate{get;set;}
public Date strEndDate{get;set;}

I am new to Visualforce and Apex, please guide how to pass searched text from one page to second or how to pass list of result

Thanks,

Manish