function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DCS Tinman2DCS Tinman2 

Enable feeds (RSS) count against your site page views?

I want to set up Feeds/RSS for my public facing site. I am wondering if everytime an RSS reader refreshes will it count against my Page View limits since these are served up as visualforce pages? I could not find tihs in the Documentation. Anyone?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

yes, it would count as page views.

All Answers

BulentBulent

yes, it would count as page views.

This was selected as the best answer
DCS Tinman2DCS Tinman2

Bulent-

Thanks for the quick response. So just to be clear. if I have 100 users subscribe to a feed and they refresh thier feed every hour (24 times a day) it would cost me 24,000 (24 pageviews *100 users) a day?

If so this seems to be a limitation if I want to scale my website up....for example 10,000 users who refresh every 5 minutes (288 times a day...like I do) would cost me 2,880,000 views a day for RSS feeds alone. Thoughts?

BulentBulent

RSS feed via sites is not different than a page view. You are accessing a page/rss feed via public site url.

However, if your subscribers are using google reader then I believe google is applying their won caching rather than refreshing for each requester. So, in this case some of the readers won't even get the rss directly from sites.

RyanGuestRyanGuest

I suggest using Feedburner (http://feedburner.google.com/) and giving out that URL for your RSS feed. That way google will cache your feed results regardless of the client's reader. (You'll get google caching on top of salesforce caching)