function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FadiShamiFadiShami 

Customer portal vs. Partner Protal in Sites

I have a scenario that i'd like to decide between a customer portal or a partenr portal to use with Sites.

I want a Customer/User to be able to register.

Create there own contact info (address, phone, email) and give them the ability to change it.

With a customer portal i can enable user registration but i have no i access to account or contacts.

Where as from a partner portal, i have access to contacts/account but I dont see a way to have them self register.

Any one solved this need before? or have a way around the above limitations ?

Thanks 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf
To see the My Profile link, go to Setup->Home->Home Page Layouts.  Make a separate layout for your Customer Portal (if you haven't already done so) and add the Customer Portal Welcome component to the top of it.  That will render a little area with a My Profile link (which will allow them to edit their user information) and a Logout link.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf

Rather than trying to expose the user's contact to himself, the user has access to a My Profile page which allows him to edit certain fields of his own User object.  You can synchronize this to the Contact with a trivial Apex trigger, for instance:

trigger UpdateContactFromPortalUser on User (after update) {
List<Contact> contactsToUpdate = new List<Contact>();

for (User u : Trigger.new) {
String contactId = u.ContactId;
if (contactId!=null && contactId!='') {
Contact c = new Contact(Id=contactId);
c.Email = u.Email;
c.FirstName=u.FirstName;
c.LastName=u.LastName;
c.Title=u.Title;
c.Phone=u.Phone;
c.Fax=u.Fax;
c.MobilePhone=u.MobilePhone;
c.MailingStreet=u.Street;
c.MailingCity=u.City;
c.MailingState=u.State;
c.MailingPostalCode=u.PostalCode;
c.MailingCountry=u.Country;
contactsToUpdate.add(c);
}
}

if (contactsToUpdate.size()>0) {
update contactsToUpdate;
}
}

FadiShamiFadiShami

Thanks fot the reply, I don't see that 'My Profile' page -

How can i enable it after the Customer Portal User logs in ??

RyanGuestRyanGuest
If you want users to be able to register themselves, you should use Customer Portal.
werewolfwerewolf
To see the My Profile link, go to Setup->Home->Home Page Layouts.  Make a separate layout for your Customer Portal (if you haven't already done so) and add the Customer Portal Welcome component to the top of it.  That will render a little area with a My Profile link (which will allow them to edit their user information) and a Logout link.
This was selected as the best answer
FadiShamiFadiShami
Great, thanks - I will give this a shot..
werewolfwerewolf
Please note that my prior answer in this had an inaccuracy in it -- I did not take into account the fact that you're not allowed to directly modify a Contact from a User trigger.  This blog post discusses how to get around that problem.
JeffGarland1234JeffGarland1234
Does this work for Self-Service portals? I'm looking for the cheapest way for contacts to login and update their campaign memberships and address, phone etc..... Seems clicktools can update SF records directly via a link clicked after recieving email but it doesnt give the user ability to authenticate and login whenever they want to update preferences (Standard and custom objects). Any way to use the Self-Service portal and when a user logs in it immedaitely takes them to a update preferences profile page? Just wondering if thats only availble in Customer Portal and not SSP. Open to any and all ideas to accomplish this bottleneck of contacts authenticating and updating their preferences. Any help would be SO appreciated.
werewolfwerewolf
This functionality is only available in the Customer Portal, not the SSP.
TraceyTracey

How does one setup a different case layout for the customer portal? Does on have to create workflow to set the recordtype and laout according to the users logon profile?

Thanks

Stephen

werewolfwerewolf
Customer portal users have profiles just like regular users.  As such, you can just make a Case page layout for your portal users and assign that layout to your Customer Portal profiles.
BenPBenP
I must be blind because I cannot see the customer portal welcome component.  Can anyone point me in the right direction and kick me swiftly?
FadiShamiFadiShami
It should be under Setup->AppSetup->Customize -> Home->Home Page Components
BenPBenP

That's what I thought, but it's not there.  I'm confused.  :smileyindifferent:

MATTYBMEMATTYBME
I beleive you will only see it if you have setup a Customer Portal and have CP Licenses.