function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MATTYBMEMATTYBME 

Exposing Ideas and Ideas Base Theme, on CP, makes Ideas BT Community visible on Ideas SO

I understand that the Ideas Base Theme requires a Community ID in its setup but I am trying to repurpose Ideas Base Theme as a Discussion Board and so when exposing both the Ideas standard object and my Discussion Board custom object (Ideas Base theme) my users can see the Discussion Board Community on the Ideas satndard object, on the Portal.

So my question is is there a way that I can hide this Community from being accessed from the Ideas standard object?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
Sign me up!

All Answers

nori_ideasnori_ideas

Hi there. Right now, there isn't a way to 'hide' communities from the ideas tab internally. You can select which communities are exposed to which customer portals, but not inside the app.

Thanks,

Nori

MATTYBMEMATTYBME
As I feared! Oh well. Thanks for replying. Is it at all possible to redirect a Portal User to the Ideas Base theme pages if they select the Community I setup for the Ideas Base theme? So if Ideas (Standard Object) was accessed via the Ideas tab on a Portal and they selected the Community I used for the Ideas Base theme, could an Apex Class do this?
nori_ideasnori_ideas

It would be a huge hack, but I bet you could put some javascript in the portal header portion that says something like.

if the location of the page includes a category ID of number XXXXXXX

then do a redirect to the custom theme.

It would be a hack tho. I do not condone it. :)

MATTYBMEMATTYBME

Problem is the "hack" would have to sit on the Ideas Standard object to redirect through to the Ideas Base Theme Community, if the Ideas Base theme Community was selected from the Community dropdown, and that would require me sitting the Ideas Standard object inside a Visualforce page.

Ugh! 

No easy solutions. Looks like if I want this to work I am going to have to do my entire Portal in Visualforce and Apex and that Nori, let me tell thee, is way beyond my skills and capabilities.

Thanks for the replies. I will just have to wait until there is a good community app out there to incorporate into my Portal. DiscussionForce has potential but still needs a few more iterations before it would be sufficient for our company's Customer Portal.

Any chance you wonderful SF people are doing any work in the Community offerings?

nori_ideasnori_ideas

wow. thanks for the great setup! Check is in the mail.  :)

We are, in fact coming out with something very similar to what you are looking for. Its called Discussions, and will be focused on Q&A sort of like a yahoo answers for companies.

That is scheduled to be released as a limited release in October. Generally available next spring.

Message Edited by nori_ideas on 04-30-2009 11:39 AM
MATTYBMEMATTYBME
Sign me up!
This was selected as the best answer