function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
aebimoyoaebimoyo 

Using sites to allow guests to search all accounts

Hello

I'm just starting to look at both visualforce and sites (steep learning curve!). I'm working with an organisation that has data on work placement in Salesforce. They want to make this data accessible to their students so they can search for suitable workplacement options.

I thought Sites would be a good option for this: create a page that the students can go to and add a few search fields - location and hours required, for instance. The results would then be displayed to the students - with contact details.

They can't edit the info, just produce results based on what's in salesforce.

Anyone done this already? Can you point me in the right direction? So far, I've managed to add a logo to the page and hide the sidebar! Yay.

Thanks

Nicole

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

I would suggest

1. building your visualforce page with a custom apex controller and testing this functionality within your salesforce instance. 2. After you're happy with that move it to sites, which would typically involve setting up a default page and correctly setting page, apex, and object permissions.

If you're having issues wiht step 2. post back specific issues and we'll help you out.

Cheers,

Wes