function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Abhinav GuptaAbhinav Gupta 

"Moderate Chatter" Deletion Issue via Java Partner API

I have a Java integration working well using Partner API with my sandbox org. This integration deletes some chatter comments/posts, but now as of Spring'11 it needs special permissions "Moderate Chatter" to do so. 

So I tried searching for a way to assign that permission to my user/profile. Tried searching for a way to assign that permission, but it seems on chatter free user's can be marked as moderators and then they can further delegate this permission to any body else. But I was not able to create a chatter free user too. 

So I tried reverting code back to API version 20, but I am still facing the same issue. Is this "Moderate Chatter" change applied globally to all API versions or its a bug ? I am using Force.com Connector API (WSC)

jkucerajkucera

Hi Abhinav - this looks like a bug, and we are looking into it internally.

The Moderator perm permits deletion of feed posts for those profiles that have the perm.  You should be able to grant "Moderate Chatter" perms to any profile, but by default, it is only granted to Chatter Free users with a Chatter Moderator profile.  This perm also gives the ability for that user to "promote" other Chatter Free users to moderators.

Any user with Modify All Data should be able to delete posts they have access to via API.

jkucerajkucera

Update - we checked the code and it appears to be working as designed.

Were you trying to delete an automated post from a CRM object?  Those can only be deleted by users with Modify All Data.  

If that's not the issue, can you respond with details around what type of post you were trying to delete, what user profile was making the API call, and what the error was?

Thanks!

jhurstjhurst

Abhinav,

If you could log a support case with the details John mentioned above and a sample of the code you have in place and then respond to this post with your Case number, I will work with the team to figure out what is happening.

Thanks

Jay

@jkucera, Here are the details :

I am 

• Deleting a FeedPost object. This feed post is created on a custom object in system.
  • Using Partner SOAP API and delete() call via Force.com connector (WSC)
  • The API user profile is System Admin, with Modify All Data and API enabled.
From the day one with the problem, I tried searching for this "Moderate Chatter" permission in Profile/user edit/detail page, but its no where in my sandbox. Can you please share some screen shot, that indicates by what name and where exactly on interface this permission can be found. -- Thanks !

Hi @jhurst, I am getting this error in client's sandbox org when trying to log a case. 

jhurstjhurst

Abhinav,

You are not able to log a support case from a sandbox org.  You will have to log into a production org to log the case.

In the meantime, I will try and set up the scenario you describe below and reproduce.

Thanks

Jay

jhurstjhurst

Abhinav,

I was not able to reproduce the issue:

1. I set up a new org in Spring '11

2. Created a custom object,

3. Logged in as a standard user, 

4. Created a new custom object record and added a Chatter post to i

5. Pulled the FeedPost ID through the Partner API as an Admin user

6. Deleted the FeedPost through the Partner API

The record was deleted as expected.

If you can get the case logged, I will work with the support group and you so you can show s exactly what is happening.

Thanks

Jay

Thanks Jay, 

I appreciate your effort, in resolving this issue. Unfortunately, the Production org access is with my client only, so I will talk to him on raising a case. Will revert back with details soon.