function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
D_M_CD_M_C 

Migrate and Merge all Chatter activity into a master/singular instance

I have a company that has as many as 20 different SalesForce orgs/instance, each with their own Chatter.  We are trying to do a merge into one singular org and would like to keep all past Chatter activity (posts, groups, files, follows, etc) from each of the other 20 old instances.  Is there a simple way to import (and merge) everything into a single org?  If there is no "easy" way to do this, is it possible to do it through the REST API (using a standard Java application)?

Notes/Constraints:

This is a one-time process - there is no need to check for duplicate messages

A user may exist on multiple orgs and the user on the master org should have all Chatter-related data from their other accounts

A user will be identified by their email address

All files hosted within each Chatter instance should be moved over to the master instance.

Data Export does not appear to be the way to go since it appears to match on internal IDs rather than the email address field we have to match on

The migration tool appears to be mainly for migrating data from Dev to Prod - if this is the correct tool for this task, I'll take another look at it.  It would have to be smart enough to match Chatter activity based on the email, though.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jia HuJia Hu

You can do the Chatter moving by WS Soap API,

but you have to mapping the Poster (CreatedById) among  the different orgs.

What you can't do:

1. moving file size > 35MB by API

2. @mention post

All Answers

Jia HuJia Hu

You can do the Chatter moving by WS Soap API,

but you have to mapping the Poster (CreatedById) among  the different orgs.

What you can't do:

1. moving file size > 35MB by API

2. @mention post

This was selected as the best answer
OzymandiasOzymandias

Hi Jia,

I assume you're talking about moving FeedItems in your post above. Would you know of an easy way to migrate FeedComments to another org? The only way I could think of is using the parent FeedItem Body to lookup the new Id in the other org, but it doesn't sound that good to me.

D_M_CD_M_C

Hi Ozymandias,

I actually ended up doing exactly what you said.  I wrote rather large Java application using the SOAP API that pulls all the data from the old org (FeedItem, FeedComment, Collab Groups, Files, etc) then insert the Groups, remap the FeedItems and Comments, insert the FeedItems, remap the Comments again, insert the Comments, remap the files, insert the files.

There is a ways to use the DataLoader to do this but the process is effectively the same where you have to re-map the Comments in Excel after you have inserted the FeedItems.

OzymandiasOzymandias

Good to know that it worked for you. At least it gives me more confidence in continuing with this approach.

Just curious about how your Java program worked when remapping FeedComments to the FeedItems. Did you match the new FeedItem Ids to the old ones using the SaveResult objects that were returned after inserting them in the new org? Or did you just search through all existing FeedItems in the new org to find the new Id using the FeedItem text?

D_M_CD_M_C

Yes, I matched the IDs based on the returned SaveResult.  Using a Map to store a List of Comments worked well for me. 

sserisseri

Hey 

I am trying to migrate same thing now, can I have the Java application that you wrote?

Thanks

Srinivas