function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Abhay AroraAbhay Arora 

Login and registration on Sites

Hi ,

we are looking for a login/registration functionality on sites. I know how to do it with customer portal but is there other way of doing this any guidlines will be helpfull.

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Authenticating_Users_on_Force.com_Sites

I know above i am looking for some other way to do it if any is available

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Authenticated sites licenses are really customer portal licenses under the hood, so you have to use that mechanism to authenticate.

If you want to identify contacts without actually creating users for them, at the end of the link you posted is an example using tokens - I've implemented this for a mobile survey app and it works well.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Authenticated sites licenses are really customer portal licenses under the hood, so you have to use that mechanism to authenticate.

If you want to identify contacts without actually creating users for them, at the end of the link you posted is an example using tokens - I've implemented this for a mobile survey app and it works well.

This was selected as the best answer
Abhay AroraAbhay Arora

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sample i will have a look at the survey shark app and see if that can help me.

FYI my scenario is :

We need to provide login and registration functionalitis on app but trying not to use the customer portal for this  any suggestions?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

What type of users are you creating - i.e. what licenses will they be consuming?  Also, is there a particular reason why you don't want to use the customer portal mechanism?

Abhay AroraAbhay Arora

Basically you can take it as a  app on which user can come and register and then purchase some products.

So basicaly we wil have leads(one which registers) and once they pay leads will be converted and we will have accounts and contacts so now we have to provide login functionalites to these ppl who have paid us so that they can check their orders or we can send them some marketing emails so on.. but nothing more than that ......any thoughts ?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

So are you trying to allow them access to their orders without consuming a license?

Abhay AroraAbhay Arora

Yes any thougths?

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Yes, but you probably won't like them.  Managing your own user id/password information in Salesforce to avoid license costs will be a breach of your agreement as far as I'm aware.  You can use the token solution to allow users access to specific data that is tied to them, but its not secure, in that if the token were discovered, or the mechanism for generating the token, then the data would be available to everyone.  Outside of that its back to unauthenticated access where a contact can access their specific data, but so can everyone else.

Basically if you want contacts to have secure, authenticated access to Salesforce data specific to them, you have to buy licenses for them.  

Abhay AroraAbhay Arora

Thanks Bob,

I knew that we can not make username/password in our objects or make login thing in any way in our sites... i just wanted to make sure that there is no other way than authenticated user licences......i will probably go for the token solution.

Thanks for your time