function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
onetwokathreeonetwokathree 

General Web Application

Hi we are new to force.com to develop web application (or websites) on the force.com, we found many usefull pdf of Cookbooks, fundamental, visual force developers books, and view sample website of the force.com. we like the website they design and want to design dynamic content website.

we need a website where user can register with details and password after that user can login to the portal(website) after deployment to web.

we also studied about sitelogin and siteregister visual force pages but it never helps our concept.
can any body help us to design portal website and reference of useful resource for the development.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

hey, 

First thing to note is that, you cannot implement a custom login on Sites. Its against the terms of force.com platform usage!

Moderators, pls confirm...

Secondly, in case you wanna authenticate the users, you have to do it through the portal licences....see below-

User Registration on Sites

Cool_D 

All Answers

hey, 

First thing to note is that, you cannot implement a custom login on Sites. Its against the terms of force.com platform usage!

Moderators, pls confirm...

Secondly, in case you wanna authenticate the users, you have to do it through the portal licences....see below-

User Registration on Sites

Cool_D 

This was selected as the best answer
Mike LeachMike Leach

You can implement your own membership/signon using Force.com sites as a platform. OAuth apps on Force (Facebook/Twitter) defer to a non-Force license identity.

However, you'll likely have difficulty publishing your app to the AppExchange if your custom membership model doesn't inherit from the core sharing model.

BulentBulent

Sites allows you create and read standard objects (except products, pricebooks, and ideas: read only) and full access for custom objects.

Sites is all about anonymous access. When you need authentication you can use sites-portals integration which then each authenticated user will have their own profile and different level access based on the portal licenses 

Portals also allows SSO.

Bulent,

Can you please clarify if wen can implement a custom login/authorization process while building a site?

I read it in the terms/conditions on the wiki as well as on some of ur post. So just wanted to confirm, as it is a very critical part in some sites implementations!!

Thanks a ton!

Cool_D 

BulentBulent
The only official and supported way of authentication is customer or partner portal integration (including SSO). Sites is for unauthenticated access.

Thanks for the useful clarification Bulent

Cool_D

Message Edited by Cool_Devloper on 12-07-2009 07:26 AM
Message Edited by Cool_Devloper on 12-08-2009 08:42 AM
onetwokathreeonetwokathree

Hi thanks i have gone through this link and got all concept of sitelogin and siteregister of customer portal for login and registration
http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Authenticating_Users_on_Force.com_Sites

Is it necessary to override the custum tab object with vf page for website?

If it is necessary then how i can add inputbox for password in custom object?

I have seen registration form in decision making community (FICO) listed in force.com site gallery, could any body gives the idea how they designed in visual force.

Please guide us.

BulentBulent

You can use the siteLogin and SiteRegistration visualforce pages creted out of the box to login/register to salesforce.com.

Fico site uses SSO to interate with portal.

Once more time, very clearly I would like to say here:

The only official authentication method is through Portals (including SSO). Do not go down the path for fake authentication methods. I won't be answering any "what happens if we do" sort of questions here.