function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
InspiredInspired 

Portal User Questions

1) Why is the account owner required to have a user role to enable a contact as a partner user?

2) Can another Salesforce.com customer use the their same username for our partner portal?

3) Is there a way to use the same username across multiple portals?

4) Could a user be a member of both our Customer and Partner Portal?

I am trying to identify the impact to the portal users when a single user requires access to multiple portals (either our own or across multiple Salesforce.com customers)

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
adi kurugantiadi kuruganti

Partner portal and customer portal behave a bit differently when it comes to usernames. Here's the rule for partner portal users

1) Username has to be unique across all salesforce usernames (both portal and CRM)

2) Same Contact record cannot be associated to both partner portal and customer portal users. You'll need to create seperate contacts and associate to the appropriate portal user

3) Same account can be both partner and customer portal account (i.e. both customer and partner portal users can be associated to the account)

Regarding your specific question below

- if the partner already has their own salesforce crm instance then its preferred to use Salesforce to Salesforce for transactional stuff (share cases, leads etc) and portal for community access (partner locator, ideas, answers, content). This way you'll get better visibility into transactional info since the partner needs to just update one place and you'll get the updates automatically. However, you can opt to use the partner portal if that's what you want - but you need to use a different username.

All Answers

BulentBulent

1) Why is the account owner required to have a user role to enable a contact as a partner user?

This is required for sharing. Portal users can access records only that are related to their account. also there are 3 roles created for every account enabled for the portal. These roles are tied to the role of the internal user who owns these accounts. 

2) Can another Salesforce.com customer use the their same username for our partner portal?

yes,however portal usernames (across all other portal users) must be unique as well 

3) Is there a way to use the same username across multiple portals?

not as multiple users. This can be done in two ways:

A) you can enable the same user for multiple portals (by enabling the user's profile for multiple portals) 

B) you ca use SSO with portals so that you can manage user name/pwd (identity) externally and single sign on users to multiple portals 

4) Could a user be a member of both our Customer and Partner Portal?

No. Portal users can either have a partner portal license or customer portal license.

InspiredInspired

Thank you for the quick response. Can I get further clarification on the answer for number 2?

When you state "across all other portal users" do you mean all Salesforce.com portals or just our portals? 

For example, I have a contact in my developer edition that has an email address that is the same as my login for our production instance. When I try to enable the contact as a portal user using that email address as the username in my developer edition, it returns the error that the username has already been taken.

This username is not used in my developer edition.

BulentBulent
within the same org you can have two users with the same user name: one as standard user and one as portal user. Portal user name uniqueness is within your org and across all portal you have in your org.
Message Edited by Bulent on 03-10-2010 01:24 PM
InspiredInspired

I created a new DE account today and I was able to use the same username for a Customer Portal license. The Partner Portal license will not let me dulplicate a username used in another instance of Salesforce.com.

Is this a limitation of DE or are partners (each using Salesforce.com) required to use 'Salesforce to Salesforce'?

adi kurugantiadi kuruganti

Partner portal and customer portal behave a bit differently when it comes to usernames. Here's the rule for partner portal users

1) Username has to be unique across all salesforce usernames (both portal and CRM)

2) Same Contact record cannot be associated to both partner portal and customer portal users. You'll need to create seperate contacts and associate to the appropriate portal user

3) Same account can be both partner and customer portal account (i.e. both customer and partner portal users can be associated to the account)

Regarding your specific question below

- if the partner already has their own salesforce crm instance then its preferred to use Salesforce to Salesforce for transactional stuff (share cases, leads etc) and portal for community access (partner locator, ideas, answers, content). This way you'll get better visibility into transactional info since the partner needs to just update one place and you'll get the updates automatically. However, you can opt to use the partner portal if that's what you want - but you need to use a different username.

This was selected as the best answer
Always ThinkinAlways Thinkin

Is it possible to change a partner portal user to a customer portal (or vice-versa) without forcing them to change their username and password? We want to migrate users from partner to the customer with as little disruption as possible.

What would the steps be?

madhuri s 9madhuri s 9
Is there any limit for partner accounts(how many partner accounts we can create)?
Sam Davyson 18Sam Davyson 18
For anyone coming past this thread who might be interested, I'm making a product which offers a much simpler and quicker customer portal experience for Salesforce.

It's called Skyportal and it's launching in around 5 weeks.

Join the beta list at https://skyportal.app/ if you're interested!