function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeremyWhiteley.ax469JeremyWhiteley.ax469 

User types for Sites: Authenticated Sites

Is there a document that exists that explains the different types of licenses that can be used with Sites for authentication?  

What are the limits of the new Authenticated Sites user?   Can you access standard objects?   

Thank you,

Jeremy

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

Authenticated website user is created to address the custom web application uses cases where you need to securely authenticate your website visitors but you don't need CRM functionality. Like e-commerce checkout or recruiting resume submission.

This new license has a new sharing mechanism so it scales up to millions of users. It only provides access to custom objects and read access to documents, and it's cheaper than the customer portal licenses.

It's derived from portal licenses so technically it's a new type of portal license so the same integration you might have done for your sites-portal integration would work for this as well (just use this new license on the portal setup).

All Answers

BulentBulent
it's all documented in the online help. Authenticated Website User license only gives access on custom objects.
Venkat PolisettVenkat Polisett

Bulent wrote:
it's all documented in the online help. Authenticated Website User license only gives access on custom objects.

Bulent, please help us out. The online help is very confusing.

We are an unlimited edition customer and we do not have Customer Portal licenses.

• While using a Guest User license, can we authenticate users using our own pages and storing their credentials in a custom object. We will only access custom objects. We do not need to access standard objects. 

• Do we need to have  a Portal license to use this Authenticated Website User License?

Regards,

Venkat Polisetti

BulentBulent
you need authenticated website user licenses in order to securely authenticate visitors on your site.
RyanGuestRyanGuest

The help is a bit confusing. Let me try to help simplify:

Authenticated website user is a type of customer portal license.

If you want users to login to your site (example: not access the site anonymously), you need to use a portal license. 

Charles OliveriaCharles Oliveria

This is confusing? 

Was the 'Spring 10' announcement a new starndard profile?

Spring '10 Force.com Platform Release Authenticated Website User Type

Authenticated Sites introduces a new user type -- "Authenticated Website User" -- to support large volumes of authenticated users for your web site. Also, Force.com Sites integrates seamlessly with Customer and Partner Portal users.

Or is it the customer portal with appropriate sites code?

Currently the wiki is showing the customer portal with sites code.

BulentBulent

Authenticated website user is created to address the custom web application uses cases where you need to securely authenticate your website visitors but you don't need CRM functionality. Like e-commerce checkout or recruiting resume submission.

This new license has a new sharing mechanism so it scales up to millions of users. It only provides access to custom objects and read access to documents, and it's cheaper than the customer portal licenses.

It's derived from portal licenses so technically it's a new type of portal license so the same integration you might have done for your sites-portal integration would work for this as well (just use this new license on the portal setup).

This was selected as the best answer
d3developerd3developer

I just wrote up a blog post about this:

http://d3developer.com/2010/05/28/authenticated-user-accounts-for-sites/

Hopefully that makes things a bit clearer.

JeremyWJeremyW

Thanks.  I wish they would make this a lot easier.  

Chirag MehtaChirag Mehta

I’m a little confused about one point — do authenticated users need an associated Contact record like Self-Service Users do, or do they just get a User record set up for them? We are purchasing authenticated users licenses and will receive them shortly, so I’m trying to plan for getting them set up in our system.

rajKhaanrajKhaan

how can we register the Authenticated Sites Users programatically? createPortalUser() method works only for CustomerPortal.

__sandra____sandra__

No, it works also for Authenticated Sites I have tried it

Chirag MehtaChirag Mehta

@Sandra - Can you please provide example/code on how it worked for you.

__sandra____sandra__

Well I have created a Site, Login is enabled for a portal I already created.

On the portal configuration, I have : Default New User License = Authenticated Website

In my site I use the default register page, which uses the default controller SiteRegisterController,

And as mentionned in the controller comments :

// PORTAL_ACCOUNT_ID is the account on which the contact will be created on and then enabled as a portal user, so you have to fil it
    // you need to add the account owner into the role hierarchy before this will work

And it works for me!

CproCpro

Do you have a document that explains how to set up users with the "Authenticated Website" license? 

Greg Owen 6Greg Owen 6
Is the Authenticated Website license still available? SFDC rep is telling me it's not longer available and that customer community must be used instead. Functionality wise it's actually better but cost wise I believe it's more.
JeremyWJeremyW
The Authenticated Website license isn't avialable for new customers.  In some cases the customer community license is better, however it's limited to 10 custom objects and it's crazy expensive (like 6-10x the cost.)   I am surprised people are paying these prices.