function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
robertSaaSrobertSaaS 

Authenticated site users

Hy,

after spending hours on the discussion boards I am totally confused on how to build a visualforce site where arbitrary users can login.

I am trying to build a recruiting app, where job applicants get access to their own password-protected profile page. Their profile is stored inside a custom object.

I thought, that's exactly what site are for, but from the boards I fear that authentication is only possible for real users in the system. And you have to pay for each user in the system....

As I expect hundreds of job applications that's not what I want.

My next idea was to create a self-made login mechanism that would pseudo login people based on a single portal user. But it seems this not allowed by Salesforce licenses.

So what could I do?!! Your help is much appreciated.

WesNolte__cWesNolte__c

Hey

You can build your own authentication system, but the app will not pass the Salesforce security checks. They will ask you to reimplement using Customer Portal. There is a cost implication, but if you are a partner you might be able to negotiate this cost.

Wes

BulentBulent

Authenticated website user is provided (with economic pricing and volume discounts) so that you wouldn't go down to insecure authentication ways. WE don't support custom authentications.

paul-lmipaul-lmi

it should also be noted that salesforce-supported auth (sites users, portal, etc) is the only way you can control Session data, such as, say, staying logged in, persisting localized content for the user, or remembering anything past each page load.  although I don't agree with the model for licensing (it still can't touch what SaaS players demand for usage), it's the only secure way to implement auth/user access on Sites.

Mike LeachMike Leach

I requested pricing for Authenticated Site user licenses from both my AE and partner success manager. Neither could provide a quote. Is this license option available?

BulentBulent

Yes. Authenticated website user is a generally available license. Both user and login based pricing are available.