function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KruviKruvi 

Updating an external system using REST callouts

Hi

I have this requirement and I need some expert advice.

I need to inform a 3rd party system with changes to my records (Create, Update and Delete) using a REST callout.

I have these constraints:

• Inform on record updates only when specific fields have been changed (only these fields that the other system is interested in)
  • If the other system is not available, keep trying to inform it, or retry in predefined intervals

What is the best way to achieve this?

Does anyone know of a solution for this available out there or had implemented something like this before?

Thanks a lot

Kruvi

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
joshbirkjoshbirk

It would remain a possibility for sure - I think that's the trade off.  With batch you get the luxury of trying to do a "deep pull" as it were, but the order of execution isn't under your control (as I'm understanding it).  You might need to try both approaches in a sandbox with a realistic data set to see the best outcome.

All Answers

joshbirkjoshbirk

For clarification - are you using the Force.com REST API for CRUD - or are events happening on Force.com which you need to inform a third party system, and that third party system has a REST API?

KruviKruvi

Hi

Third party system has a REST API, I'm using a trigger to initiate a REST callout to the 3rd party after the CRUD

Thanks

Oded

joshbirkjoshbirk

So I'm guessing you're looking more for the second bullet point, since it sounds like you probably already have:

• Event based trigger
  • Future based callout

For recording when that future based callout fails, I'd recommend creating a custom object which can record the information you need (like the record id from the original event) and then use scheduled Apex to check for the existence of the "failed" records.  Apex can then attempt to send again to the third party and delete the custom object if needed.

KruviKruvi

Yes

I think of using a batch job, in my case the order of callouts is importent, but how can I maintain the order if I use batch?

joshbirkjoshbirk

Can you set the related query to either the created date of the custom object, or an autonumber?

KruviKruvi

Yes, but if I understand the documentation correctly the order of execution is not guaranteed to be as passed from the start method. Correct?

joshbirkjoshbirk

Right - with Batch you might need to try and enforce it programmatically ... but you also might look at using the schedulable/Apex Scheduler instead.  That's a simpler interface where the SOQL would take place within the same execute transaction.

KruviKruvi

I might need to try this, but I still have one doubt - if I'm not using a batch process wouldn't I have a problem with the SOQL query size limits?

joshbirkjoshbirk

It would remain a possibility for sure - I think that's the trade off.  With batch you get the luxury of trying to do a "deep pull" as it were, but the order of execution isn't under your control (as I'm understanding it).  You might need to try both approaches in a sandbox with a realistic data set to see the best outcome.

This was selected as the best answer