function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bryan.andersonbryan.anderson 

clicking "Edit" button prompts to create new site

I came across an odd behavior recently for Site.com. A client's user had Site.com publisher access and was enabled for their Site.com site. However, when clicking "Edit", they were prompted to create a new site instead. I tried accessing the same site using my user, which created the site, so I assume it owns the "record". I was able to access the site no problem.

I did some additional troubleshooting in my personal developer org. This user in my client's org had a profile based on the Marketing User profile, so I created a user with that profile. I logged into the org and attempted to edit the site. I was prompted to create a new site. Ok, so it seems to be a permissions issue perhaps? So I began comparing my user's profile (System Admininistrator) with the Marketing User. Since the Site.com docs only mention "Customize Application" and "Manager Users" I started with these.

I enabled Customize Application and tried editing again. No luck. I added Manage Users and tried editing. It worked! But this should not be required based on the documentation to simply to gain access to the site.com studio. For Summer '12, a new feature was added for managing roles. I checked this section and in both orgs, all Site.com users had the appropriate access. So I tried simply removing the user and then adding them back. Went to login, clicked edit, and I was now able to access Site.com studio and could edit the site as usual.

So, it seems with the new release, if a user previously had access, did not create the site, and does not have the "manage users" permission, then they have lost access. The solution appears to be remove the site from Manage Roles and add them back again.

I hope this helps anyone else that comes across this bug.

One question I do have, there does appear to be a way to change the "owner" of the Site.com site "record". Is there a way to do this? Also, if the user that created the Site.com site is inactivated, would there be any problems accessing the site with a different user?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bryan.andersonbryan.anderson

I solved this issue after some testing and investigation.

I found that if a Site.com site was accessible by multiple users then after the Summer '12 upgrade, access was lost by all except for the User who initially created the site. Since they lost access, they were then prompted to create a new site instead of given a message that they did not have permission or something similar. The solution was actually quite easy. The "record owner" of the Site.com site would need to access the Site.com Studio, remove the users access under "Site Configuration > Manage User Roles", and then re-add them back.