function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tlsarna1tlsarna1 

Flow and Dependent Picklists

I'm new at VF and Flow, scouring through my guides and feeling a little overwhelmed.  I posted a message on the VF page but also know that I may be able to do this with Flow.  Here's what I want to do:

1./  Allow a user to choose an Account from a lookup search (easy enough, although I'd like the lookup to be in a dropdown, based on search criteria rather than radio button options of ALL accounts)

2./  Based on the global region (field is Global_Region__c) in that account, give the option for a category, sub-category and action of a case.  Some regions don't support all functions, so will need the opportunity to have a picklist dependent on the region.

For example:

Category:  Hardware, Software, Accessories

Sub-Category: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Windows, Office, iTunes, Speakers, Patch Cables, Adapters

Action: Repair, Consult, Replace, Reconfigure, Reimage, Reinstall, Install, Deinstall

Choose ABC with the global region of North America and options may be:

Hardware --> Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard

Software ---> Windows, Office, iTunes

Action ---> Reimage, Reinstall, Consult, Deinstall

But choose ABC with the global region of JAPA and the options may be

Hardware ---> Mouse, Keyboard

Software --> Office

Action ---> Consult

Likewise with LAC and EMEA --- the dependent picklists will change, based on what is supported in the region.  Can this be done?  How?  Originally, we had 15 different record types with picklist value changes for each ... but we want to merge into a single record type for all regions, just displaying what is applicable to that region.   Can this all be done using Flow?

shawshankshawshank

I'm fairly new to the visual workflow designer as well.  From my perspective with the visual design tool, there are a couple of options.

1.  Create the static choice values in the flow designer and step through the flow based on each choice made.  Assign the answers to variables, and write these back to Salesforce as appropriate.  The disadvantage here is that the flow lists are static...i.e. if you change your available choices in Salesforce, you'll need to update your flow accordingly.  This is recommended if your categories don't change often.

2. Create filtered lookups instead of dependent picklists in Salesforce.  This means that in addition to region, you'll need to create custom objects for hardware, software, and action and populate the values in Salesforce.  You can then use dynamic advanced scripts in the data source elements to select the items appropriately in your flow.  The advantage with this method is that the choices dynamically change with your Salesforce data.  If you are constantly adding new categories, then this method may be better.  Another unrelated advantage is that you can define additional attributes for your categories that may be helpful in other workflows.  The disadvantage is that if you have a lot of data to actively update and maintain in Salesforce, you're dealing with a bunch of IDs rather than the text fields.

I don't know APEX, but I imagine there are other potentially more straight-forward ways to handle this issue programmatically.    

RajaramRajaram

What you will need for your use case is questions with Choice Lookups.

Choice lookups provide the ability to provide a choice (Radio or Drop down) based on a query  where you can filter criteria etc.

You can also chain questions with choice lookups. 

So for your use case, you will have 1 question with a choice lookup for the category.

Then another question with a choice lookup where you filter the data based on the 1st and so on and so forth.

Hope this helps..

OlgaOlga

It would be nice if you could update a field based on another field value without clicking on the "Next" button. A simple example is to enter quantity and price and get the total price shown on the same screen.