function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
paulmagpaulmag 

exporting data - track who exports what

I need to find a way to monitor / stop my users data exports. We work in a sales environment where staff could leave and take their customer list with them when joining a competitor. Currently salesforce has no way to allow me to track who has exported what and recover it. Does anyone have any recommendations of add ons from appexchange or other companies that I could look at? I have found a company called "Outprotect" which could fit the bill. All suggestions and comments welcomed.

Paul

vbadhwarvbadhwar

Hi Paul,

Currently, you can setup certain user profiles in Salesforce so they do not have the permission to Export Reports (Manage Users -> Profiles -> Profile Name). However, if you just want to monitor the data being exported by your users, you may want to consider a third-party solution such as ZScaler or SecureIslands. 

-Varun

paulmagpaulmag

Hi there Varun, thanks for the response. Due to the realities of field sales we need our guys to be able to export data as we cant always guarantee they can get internet access. I would ideally like to be able to enforce export and customisation rules at the folder level but this isnt possible..yet. I think it will need to be a 3rd party solution, i will take a look at the 2 suggestions you made.

Thanks

Paul

Dave007Dave007

Hello

I guess it always comes down to how much you trust your users, if you think they should not have access to certain contacts then don't give them access to those contacts.

Whats to stop users from just getting a pen and paper and writing them down!

The problem with doing it at the folder level is what happens when you get cross-object data

So you might say I only want my users to export reports on opportunities or only opportunity data but on an opportunity reoport you have account information, so then you have to restrict account data

Then also as the other person suggested you could just remove the export permission altogether, again this doesnt really stop people writing the contact details down

if they really need certain data to work offine then there is Salesforce offline edition

or you could schedule the report to run and email the report to yourself and others