function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
debikendebiken 

Is there a way to prohibit a user from changing their personal user settings?

We have a role for lead entry with several users.  The role is very limited, but when they enter a task on a lead, their user name is a link under the "assigned to" column and when clicked on they are able to edit user fields and we don't want them to.  Is there a way to lock down a user to the point of not being able to change user settings?

Shilpa_SFShilpa_SF

Hi,

User personal settings are particular settings of a user and as per salesforce prohibiting a user from changing their personal settings is not possible.

debikendebiken

Thank you for your response...there are some user fields that the administrator may want to make non-editable.  Are you saying this is not possible?  That does not seem feasible for a large number of users in the same role...any ideas for workaround? 

Shilpa_SFShilpa_SF

Hi,

The alternative workaround you could try is, creating a Trigger on the User object and writing the logic as per your requirement and prohibiting the user from editing the fields.

Going South.ax738Going South.ax738

When you write such a trigger make sure the trigger is based on profile but not for all. Or else, the edits on user data wont be allowed even by administrators too.

Another simpler way is to make the assigned to column readonly on the page layout for that profile so that users would not click on it and enter into user entry edits.

debikendebiken

Thanks for the ideas...unfortunately the page layout doesn't allow for making the assigned to user field read-only, I too thought that would be a quick solution.  I'm afraid the trigger may become problematic for other user profiles but I may play around with it a bit. 

ram_iyerram_iyer

You can create a validation rule using the  "ISCHANGED(field)" function and checking if $User.ProfileId belongs to the profile that should not edit personal information (assuming that you want to restrict it for all users that belong to that profile.

- Ram

debikendebiken

That is a good idea... and would be quick to implement.  I'll give it a try!   Thanks for the suggestion!