function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
T-Rex76T-Rex76 

Siteforce functionality with data

A couple quick questions about Siteforce functionality:

1. I know that siteforce and data access is in pilot mode.  With that being said, the demos out there show displaying data on a site utilizing the siteforce data components.  Will siteforce have the ability to add/update data?  For example, I have a custom 'Training Session' object.  I want to create pages in siteforce with a form that captures information about a training session and creates a new record to the 'Training Session' object.
  2. If add/updating data is not going to be possible utilizing Siteforce, is it possible (or make sense) to create a site utilizing siteforce pages along with the traditional visualforce pages?  It seems that you would have more data flexibility with the visualforce pages.  We like the Siteforce component as it makes it very easy to update content on pages.  We would apply this to pages that the marketing team would/could update.  We would then use visualforce pages for more data "processing".

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sonali_sfdcsonali_sfdc

Thank you for your question. You are asking about custom built forms that bring data into Siteforce. This is a commonly requested feature, and high on our list of priorities. With the Winter '12 release, you can build html forms to bring data into salesforce objects but that requires writing custom code.

Under safe harbor, with Spring '12 release we hope to have the Forms functionality out there using which you will be able to build a custom form that gets data into any salesforce object. Your use case of training sessions is a great one for this!

All Answers

sonali_sfdcsonali_sfdc

Thank you for your question. You are asking about custom built forms that bring data into Siteforce. This is a commonly requested feature, and high on our list of priorities. With the Winter '12 release, you can build html forms to bring data into salesforce objects but that requires writing custom code.

Under safe harbor, with Spring '12 release we hope to have the Forms functionality out there using which you will be able to build a custom form that gets data into any salesforce object. Your use case of training sessions is a great one for this!

This was selected as the best answer
T-Rex76T-Rex76

When you say "requires writing custom code", does that mean you can invoke Visualforce pages and apex code within siteforce?  If so, how does one go about doing this?

I played around with siteforce in my developer org and tried adding very basic apex code and the application returned an error alert that the code was not properly formatted HTML.

KalyanLKalyanL

if you can eloborate on "With the Winter '12 release, you can build html forms to bring data into salesforce objects but that requires writing custom code."  I'm really looking for one of my customer's here and they have a to input some information as a customer feedback form.    I'm looking for a an example use case as to how a custom form was built.

desmoquattrodesmoquattro

Hey folks - I think you'll be pleased with the Spring 12 release of Siteforce. Check out the new features, starting on page 143:

Spring 12 Release Notes

Siteforce will have built-in Web-to-Object forms when the upgrade is complete. It's a very slick drag-and-drop way of building forms to capture informationt o any object, without writing code. Here's a series of screen shots from my Spring Prerelease org:

1) Note the new Form item in the page elements:

Pallate

2) When you choose a form, you get to choose which object that form submits to:

Form Object

Note that the visibility of this object on your site is controlled from this dialog as well. This screen also lets you choose fields for your form.

3) This generates a form on your page, with the fields you selected in the previous step. :

Note that the form elements are now available in the page structure on the sidebar: