function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
icemft1976icemft1976 

Force.com Sites - 2 questions

1) Is Force.com sites (the original 'site' building tool that is a component of our Unlimited Edition environment) being sunsetted? I realize the acquisistion of the company behind the  "sites.com" product superseded this product, and Sityes.com is being sold separately.....it feels like this product has been put to the side.

The reason i ask is that I use it as a way to integrate loosely with a number of our other saas tools. If I need to get on the Canvas bandwagon (or go to the more structured use of the rest toolkit) then fine. But I am dying to know if this capability is on its last legs. It often provides a really quick way to avoid having to spin up a webservers just to have a place host a few pages (so you can call the REST kit) and integrate with third party apps that don't support calling the kit locally. 

2) Has the infrastructure for Sites been moved to the same one that Heroku uses? I ask because I now see a pattern of slow initial load times on a few different Sites that previously were quick to load - even if they hadn't been visited in days. I've stripped out all stylesheets and assets, and even disabled any queries in the initial load methods for these pages - just local variable declarations. And the only thing I can make an analogy to is that it *appears* to be waking up the process....like Heroku apps do.

EDIT:  I should note this slowness only happens when visiting from the public facing URLS like "mycompany.force.com/sitename/pagename" and not when we're in the instance ("na6.salesforce.com/apex/pagename").

If any SF people have any insight on these I'd love to hear. I think the writing is on the wall....and I know innovation is often destructive :)  More ot the point there are better ways of doing things but sometimes us one man operations do whatever we can - vs doing isome things the optimal way (but not making half our other goals).