function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Edward GeeEdward Gee 

Where is the documentation for sforce.connection.search() and other functions?

I can find examples of how to use the search() function in my S-Control but I can't find the detailed syntax of that function nor any of the other functions exposed in sforce.connection.  I've tried searching for the functions in the online help but had no luck finding the correct reference.  I've downloaded connection.js but it doesn't provide any good comments.  Does anyone have a link to some detailed documentation?

- Ed
cheenathcheenath
Docs and samples.

HTHs,

Edward GeeEdward Gee
Thanks cheenath but I have gone through those docs already and didn't find what I was looking for.  For example, I was told I can do a search of multiple objects using the sforce.connection.search() function.  The example provided in the docs only showed search with one object.  After playing around a bit, I discovered that I could do the following:

sforce.connection.search("find {" + searchStringText.value + "} in Name fields RETURNING Account(name, id), Contact(name, id)")

It allowed me to get hits in Account and Contact at the same time.  I was hoping to find a more detailed explanation of the syntax that can be used in search unless I totally missed something.  For example, I had to look around the message boards to discover that you can't control ordering of the result set.

Interesting IDE.... I've been using the Eclipse plugin for all my S-Control development work.  Does the IDE provide context help for syntaxes beyond what Eclipse provides?

- Ed
cheenathcheenath
Check the API docs.

Got to section:
Understanding API calls > Sforce Object Search Lang (SOSL)

Thanks for trying out Ajax Tools. It does not have more context help
than Eclipse plugin, but it does provide samples, debug shell,
explorer etc - all in one place, without the messy install of
a downloaded app/plugin - IMHO.

Edward GeeEdward Gee
Ugh... my bad... was concentrating too much on SOQL that I ignored the entire SOSL section... thanks for taking the time to point the obvious.

- Ed