function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MTBeitlerMTBeitler 

How to change "Required" behavior of a ‘Dropdown list’ field of a Screen in Flow

I'm having an issue with using the 'Dropdown list' field type on a Screen in the Flow Designer.

The first attached image shows a simple example of the kind of Screen & 'Dropdown list' field I am dealing with. The Flow Designer interface doesn't appear to provide a means of indicating whether or not the 'Dropdown list' field is required. I've noticed that under the 'Textbox' field type, there is a "Required" checkbox that allows this kind of behavior to be set, but the 'Dropdown list' field type doesn't have this option available via the interface of the Flow Designer.

My problem is that the 'Dropdown list' actually shows up as a required field (see the second attached image). Even more confusing is that when I use the Flow Designer Explorer tab to look at the Properties of my Example_Dropdown_List that I’ve created, the description says "Required: false" (see the third attached image).

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

-Matt Beitler

Example Dropdown List bug 001 

Example Dropdown List bug 002

Example Dropdown List bug 003

MTBeitlerMTBeitler

According to another post I found, this is considered to be the correct behavior.  Check out this post and chime in on the discussion about 'required' being a configurable option for the Dropdown list field:
     http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/Visual-Workflow/Dropdown-Choice-element-showing-as-Required-field-when-they-are/m-p/450943/highlight/false

Thanks.

-Matt Beitler

Chatham Financial

RajaramRajaram

The nature of the drop down control is such that it is always required.

If its truly optional, what you could do is to have something like --None-- as the first control and make that the default. this way the user does not need to use the control.

MTBeitlerMTBeitler

One problem with this kind of work around is that the user has no way of knowing that the dropdown is optional.  Even if I add a "--None--", the field still has the red required bar next to it, which causes confusion for the end user, such that from one screen to the next they end up asking themself "Is a change/input to the field really required in this case or not?"  I think the user should be able to look over the set of fields on a screen and easily determine which fields they must fill in or touch based on the red required indicators.

Additionally, there are times in the flow of the interface when we don't want a default and we deliberately want to force the user to make a conscious choice to select an item from the dropdown, in order to make sure that they don't accidentially blow past a field selection without thinking about what they are clicking on.

-Matt Beitler

Chatham Financial

carrinpcarrinp

This is not a viable workaround. As an admin, it is necessary to have the ability to remove the requirement. As it is now, it is a feature that cannot be used. Are there any other options?

Thanks!