function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PronowPronow 

Editing Manage External User functionality on Contact object

Hello there,

I want to know whether I can change the 'Manage External User' functionality on the Contact object. Actually this functionality allows us to login to Customer Portal using Username and Password of that Contact's associated User.

I am using Sites intead of customer portal. And I want to login to my sites using a this functionality.

Please guide me for this. Thanks in advance.

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You use the same mechanism for users to login to a site.  On the site configuration, if you click the 'Login Settings' button, you'll be able to set which portal users have to authenticate against.

There's a very good article on this in the developerforce wiki:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Authenticating_Users_on_Force.com_Sites

PronowPronow
Hi Bob,

I already have a Login Visualforce page designed. I also have customer portal for which I have made login enabled from my site.

Is there any way, so that from Contact itself I can make a User log into my Site?

Thanks in advance.
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You won't know the contact until the user has logged in - can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do.

PronowPronow
Hi Bob,

In my scenario, I have designed a Site. Site does have authentication. I am using salesforce standard authentication. I have customer portal for which I have enabled login for my site.

On a Contact record, now we have a Button named "Manage External User". Inside that button we have option as "Login to as a Portal User". This option allows you to Login to Portal.

I want to create such a link which will allow that Contact's related user to get directly logged into my site.

I hope this would be clear enough. Please ask questions if any.

Thank you.
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You can't create your own link, as that is allowing you to masquerade as that user.

I'm still not seeing the requirement - are you going to allow external users to browse your contacts and then choose to login as one at random?

PronowPronow
Hi Bob,

I have a system administrator user. Using that admin user, I should be able to login to my site for those random users. This functionality is for testing purpose.
PronowPronow
The point that you have got is very much similar to my question.
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Ah - gotcha.  I think you'll need to provide a link to your site on the portal - that way your login session will be retained I think.  I'm not 100% sure though, as its been a while since I did that.

Once you have logged in as the portal user, via the button, what happens if you navigate to the site? Does it know that you are logged in and let you access restricted content?

PronowPronow
I think that would not do. I have only one system admin user. Who can see all other contacts and their users. Other users are assigned such profiles that they can not login to salesforce instance. They can only login to sites.

Using admin, can I impersonate their login to my sites?
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

What I am suggesting is use the admin user to masquerade as each of your users via the button on the contact.  Then when you hit the portal as that user, provide a link that will take you to your site.  That way you can see the user experience (I think!).

PronowPronow
Well the solution may make the Site just get logged in. However, the Site pages and their functionalities are user dependent, it will still not show all required data.

Anyways, thank you very much for your help and knowledge sharing Bob.
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Yeah, but the point is if you have logged into the portal as a particular user, you can then navigate to the site as that user. Therefore you would see their experience.