function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LloydSilverLloydSilver 

Visual Flow - Problem passing value from dynamic choice

I have a Screen component with one Radio Button field. That field has two choices:

1. Create_New_Contract which is a simple choice field used in a later decision; and

2. Available_Contracts which is a dynamic choice

The Available_Contracts choice displays records from a custom object with a simple filter.

The Choice Label is the name of the custom object record. The Choice Stored Value is the Id of the custom object record.

After the user selects a record from the Available_Contracts they move further in the flow. There is a step where I want to use the (choice stored) value from Available_Contracts. To use it, I'm simply selecting Available_Contracts in the Dynamic Choice section of a formula.

However, nothing is stored there. I used a screen to display the value from that field and it's blank. Now, I can assign the ID obtained after the user selects the record to a new variable, and that works fine. But shouldn't using just Available_Contracts produce the ID of the record since that was what I used for Choice Stored Value.

Bottom line is it doesn't seem like Choice Stored Value is working. At least I cannot use it later in the flow.

Thanks.

DarrellDDarrellD

Are you relatively familiar with Flows? I ask because I am very familiar with them and over the past week we have hit what we think is a bug with the Dynamic Choices and it's causing a mess in our managed package.

What you describe is exactly how it should work. Our dynamic choice, which worked before Summer 13 release, now returns null when it should not. So if you think you have it built correctly then can you:

1. Log a case with support.

2. (Most important) - In top right corner of Flow designer you can leave feedback. Open that up and put the issue in there. This goes right to Raja who is the Flow lead. I communicated with him yesterday about this Dynamic Choice issue and he was going to look at today, but would certainly be helpful if others let him know they might be experiencing it to.

For us, we have a Dynamic lookup to Contact that returns null and it's not related to security, visibility, etc.

LloydSilverLloydSilver

I'm pretty familiar with flows and have built some fairly complicated ones. And they worked. That's what confused me. All of a sudden the dynamic choice values were Null and the flow wouldn't work correctly.

I've provided feedback. I can't submit a case because it's in a developer's sandbox and it wouldn't allow me.

Hopefully they'll get this fixed as the alternative is many hours of retooling several flows, and a very unhappy customer.

RajaramRajaram
We are working on a fix where referencing the dynamic choice field directly is not getting the value properly. However, there is a simpler workaround, which is also the best practice in most common use cases. Refer to the Screen Choice Field, that should work.

In other words, If you have a screen choice field called "Select_Account" and have a dynamic choice called "Fetch_Account", always refer to the "Select_Account" merge field to get the value of the users selection and NOT the dynamic choice.

Hope this helps.
DarrellDDarrellD

In our case no this won't help because the user isnt' able to make a choice at all. It's that portion that is coming up null. The Dynamic Choice itself, which should have values, is null.

LloydSilverLloydSilver

Do you have a time frame for the fix? I have a flow that would require hours of editing to get it to work properly. I can hold off for a little time if the fix is going to be forthcoming.

LloydSilverLloydSilver

Any update on timeframe for this fix?

RajaramRajaram
Lloyd,
Darrell's issue is something I am aware of. I am not sure if you are having the same issue or not. What error do you see?
LloydSilverLloydSilver

"We are working on a fix where referencing the dynamic choice field directly is not getting the value properly."

That's my issue. I cannot reference the dynamic choice field elsewhere in the flow. I used to be able to, but not any longer.

DarrellDDarrellD

Lloyd's issue sounds different than mine. We can't get the Dynamic Flow to work at all so can't get to the step where we'd pass it somewhere else.

Initially I was not sure if they were related or not, but ours appears related to packaging vs. Flow (evidently they are different processes according to Support).

Darrell

LloydSilverLloydSilver

Still looking for an answer as to the timeframe.

Are you guys going to fix this soon, or are you going to force me to spend hours modifying my flow to get around the bug introduced in the last update?

RajaramRajaram
Lloyd, the fix is scheduled to be in the Winter'14 upgrade.
LloydSilverLloydSilver

I appreciate the response, although the answer is quite disappointing. This is going to require us to re-tool several flows to overcome this bug. Is there not a quicker way to roll out a fix - through a critical update?

Joel TamburoJoel Tamburo
And even better - it was never fixed......I just tried this yesterday and Dynamic Choices are STILL returning null values. Which makes the Flow Designer completely worthless and a customer ripoff.
MikeCredentMikeCredent
your conversation a few year old now , but with my  first managed package seeing the choice label ( name) and not the choice stored value (id) being passed. Did you discover a fix/ work around to your issues, which sounds related?