function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Naveen JainNaveen Jain 

Custom Object versus Contacts Object

We arer looking to have multiple custom apps co-exist in one Salesforce Org. We are not using Salesforce for typical CRM deployment - it is all custom and the apps are using Salesforce more as a database in the cloud.We are not using leads, opportunities, etc and the only standard objects that we are looking to use are Account and Contact.

Both these apps have their own contacts (which may or may not over lap and at this point the business owners of these two apps do not care)

I understand that we can use record-types, field-level security etc to segment contacts records for one app from another.

However, if we were to create custom object to store the contact objects, what is the downside? I understand what we lose is the relationships that contact object has with accounts, leads, opportunities, etc. What else do we lose?

NzgonNzgon

You will lose out of box CRM sales cloud app and service cloud app but you will gain flexibility to use sites as public portal without limitation and without licensing if you use custom object for contacts.

Nash

kmehrkenskmehrkens

On a similar note, is there a way to create a new object that will include contact as a related list so that the new object will have 1:n contacts?

I am looking to have a contact be associated with an account (standard functionality) but the same contact be associated with a new entity of a custom object. I can do it with a lookup field, but that only gives me the ability to add one contact to the custom object. It would be nice to duplicate the account-contact relationship, so to speak, so my custom object can have 1:n contacts.

kmehrkenskmehrkens

My bad! Looks like it's as simple as creating a lookup relationship on the contact object. After doing that, you will see Contact show up as a related list in the new custom object.