function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AtifmohammedAtifmohammed 

Exporting And Importing of Custom Fields

Hi Guiders, could you please give me the neccessary steps how to Exporting And Importing  of Custom Fields from one developer edition to another developer edition 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

To be honest - you're really using the Force.com Migration Tool for BOTH the actual tool and Eclipse itself.  Eclipse wraps a pretty little once-through wizard around it so you're not typing XML and text files for your "every-day" production push.

For "every-day" and onsie-twosie jobs, I'll usually just push via Eclipse.  For large deployments (dozens of classes, pages, components, triggers, etc) where I want to send them in via batches, or want to define a deployment job that I can use quickly more than once - I'll usually stage them and push via the Migration Tool.

-Andy

All Answers

You can either deploy via Eclipse (Force.com IDE) or through the Force.com Migration Tool.

Through Eclipse, you select the objects that you want to deploy, right click, choose "Force.com" --> Deploy to Server.  Follow the wizard and you're done.

The Migration Tool is a tad more involved - but definitely a worthwhile tool to investigate.

-Andy

mohd atifmohd atif

Yes i got it through Eclipse IDE can u briefly give steps to send the custom objects through force.com migration tool..

The Migration Tool is a little more involved.  I wrote a blog post up about it a while back...

http://techman97.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/migrating-apex-via-ant/

Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi techman97,

I would like to know, What are the pros and cons of using Eclipse and Force.com Migration tool over one another?

Is there any situation where we should stick with one particular tool?

Thanks,

Devendra

To be honest - you're really using the Force.com Migration Tool for BOTH the actual tool and Eclipse itself.  Eclipse wraps a pretty little once-through wizard around it so you're not typing XML and text files for your "every-day" production push.

For "every-day" and onsie-twosie jobs, I'll usually just push via Eclipse.  For large deployments (dozens of classes, pages, components, triggers, etc) where I want to send them in via batches, or want to define a deployment job that I can use quickly more than once - I'll usually stage them and push via the Migration Tool.

-Andy

This was selected as the best answer
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi techman97,

Thank you very much..!!

Cheers,

Devendra