function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SL TanSL Tan 

S-control question

I wonder if anyone has come across the same situation and can advise me.
I have an S-control custom link on a Custom Object A that generates a report extracting data from fields in the Custom Object A. The merge fields referencing the Custom Object A extracts the data nicely. However I have a few fields where data need to be extracted from another Custom Object B.
These data from B can be generated from another S-Control C to show on A after Save successfully.
However there does not seem to be a way to get the merge field data from B to show in this report . I tried to use the Field Type $SControl and use C for the Merge Field but got the following comments when the report is generated :
/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=01N500000008xFK&eid=__ENTITY_ID__&enc=UTF-8&ic=1
I hope someone will be able to point out what is wrong here and what should be the solution
Many thanks in advance
SL
Greg HGreg H

I think I get what you are trying to do.  Basically, the $Scontrol function will provide you the url location of the specified scontrol.  So I don't see that working for you here.

Also, unless custom object A and custom object B are somehow related you will not be able to get data from merge fields from an scontrol on a record from object A page layout.  Additionally, since you cannot do joins from Object A to Object B you will not be able to get a standard report to get data from both objects on a single report.

To use salesforce.com standard reporting module you must either create a relationship between your two custom objects or populate fields on one object's records with data from the other object.

My suggestion is to always run scontrol C which you indicate will populate fields on A after save.  Only after the fields have been populated will the report work.

There could be other options too.  Let me know if you'd like other suggestions,
-greg

SL TanSL Tan

Hi Greg
Thanks a lot for your reply and kind suggestions. Finally I found a way to work round this by altering the report content without sacrificing the required information on the report but still meet users needs.
Best Regards
SL