function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eric BowdenEric Bowden 

Using Federation Id with the OAuth 2.0 SAML Bearer Assertion Flow

The specifications (https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/remoteaccess_oauth_SAML_bearer_flow.htm) for the OAuth 2.0 SAML Bearer Assertion Flow state that the Subject of the assertion must match the Username of the desired Salesforce user.  This is working well for us, but soon we will need to be able to create an assertion which matches the Federation Id of the desired user.

Does the OAuth 2.0 SAML Bearer Assertion Flow support Federation Id?  If not, is there a workaround possible?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
chuckmortimorechuckmortimore

Sorry, only username.    Since this flow works across multiple orgs, we need it to be username, as federationid is only unique per-org, and there isn't additional org context in the assertion.   Username is globally unique, so works well for this.

All Answers

chuckmortimorechuckmortimore

Sorry, only username.    Since this flow works across multiple orgs, we need it to be username, as federationid is only unique per-org, and there isn't additional org context in the assertion.   Username is globally unique, so works well for this.

This was selected as the best answer
John Vesli ChitriJohn Vesli Chitri
Hello Guys, Just I am trying to connect from Mule ESB to the Salesforce using Username with Oauth SAML. What should be my username? Is that the login username will be my salesforce username? Please help me on this as you have done this earlier. Thanks in advance.