function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Marc C.Marc C. 

Insufficient Priveleges Message on Public Read/Write Custom Object

We created a new custom object which I want everyone to be able to see. Under Security -> Sharing it is set (by default?) to Public Read/Write. I have not applied any additional security and assume this is the Org-Wide Default.

The problem is, when a normal user calls up the list page (via a link) it returns an "Insufficient Priveleges" message. The link is just: my.salesforce.com/a0F (is this an invalid way to link? Must I create pages and tabs??)

The fields appear as visible but under each profile's field-level security. However, in the "Custom Record Type Settings" for that object nothing is checked. Do I need to go through each profile and check "View All"?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
chris.noechris.noe

Do your users have at least 'Read' access to the new custom object in the "Custom Object Permissions" section of their profiles?  I believe that by default, Salesforce does not grant users access to new custom objects unless they have "View All Data" or "Modify All Data" permissions on their profiles.  So, even though your org wide default is Public Read/Write and they have visibility to the fields on the object, they won't have access unless you give them at least 'Read' access to the new custom object on their profile.

All Answers

chris.noechris.noe

Do your users have at least 'Read' access to the new custom object in the "Custom Object Permissions" section of their profiles?  I believe that by default, Salesforce does not grant users access to new custom objects unless they have "View All Data" or "Modify All Data" permissions on their profiles.  So, even though your org wide default is Public Read/Write and they have visibility to the fields on the object, they won't have access unless you give them at least 'Read' access to the new custom object on their profile.

This was selected as the best answer
Marc C.Marc C.

Thanks, this is a bit of a pain isn't it? Would be nice to be able to add an object to all profiles at once...