function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
rpr2rpr2 

Deploying customizations from Sandbox to Production

I have the need to deploy a bunch of customizations from my organization's Sandbox to Production.  I'm trying to decide whether to use Change Sets to do this, or a Private Appexchange package.  I'm an advanced administrator, but not a developer so using something like an Ant script is not an option to me.  Purchasing a tool such as Snapshot also isn't an option either.  All of the items that I need to migrate are point-and click type of customizations.  Closest thing to "code" is some custom links and buttons that I created.

For my scenario (all within the same org), both will work but I think each one is going to have it's own set of advantages/disadvantages.  I'd love to hear what others have been using and why.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
A_SmithA_Smith

Go with change sets.  AppExchange packages aren't designed for this use case, so you'll run into issues.

All Answers

A_SmithA_Smith

Go with change sets.  AppExchange packages aren't designed for this use case, so you'll run into issues.

This was selected as the best answer
atlantisatlantis

Change sets will be better. There would be less issues.

Also, you can use Force.com IDE.  It depends on if you can good at using Eclipse.

I dont think unmanaged package is a good choice for your case.

rpr2rpr2

Thanks for the replies!  I went with the suggestion of Change Sets, and it deployed problem-free on the first try, which was very nice.  My experience working with Appexchange pkgs as a deployment tool usually hasn't been successful on the first try. 

I used change sets when it was first released and some of the things I didn't like then have since been addressed.  However, there were various things that I wanted to include that were not an option and will need to be re-created manually.  That's what I'm trying to minimize.

As far as Eclipse, when I tried using it in the past, the end result was adding it to my (long) list of things to learn someday.  Don't have the time available in my current project.schedule to learn it.

rpr2rpr2

"Just for fun" I went through the exercise of creating and trying to deploy a private Appexchange pkg with the same components.  Operative word is "trying".  The upload worked fine (after the second attempt) but I can't install it due to all of the dependencies that got automatically included in the pkg that already exist in my other org.  "Been there/encountered this" before, but it had been awhile.  Memory refreshed.

Thanks again for your recommendation to go with Change Sets.  Absolutely the way to go when choosing between these two options.