function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MaxxumMaxxum 

Is this possible?

I have created a Custom Object, say "MyAccount" which is related to the standard Account object. This custom object contains a field called "Ticker" which is same as the Ticker Symbol in the standard Account object. I have created a lookup relationship with the parent Account object. On the MyAccount page, I have a lookup field for parent Account.

What I want to do is: when the user selects an Account from the lookup dialog, populate the Ticker field in the Custom Object (MyAccount) automatically.

Questions: Is it a good idea to duplicate same information? If yes, how can I populate common information as aoon as the user selects an Account in the loopup dialog?

If NOT, can I create a page that has combination of fields from the master and custom objects?

Also,
I want add javascript validations - how do I do that? Do have to use s-control for the same?

How do I remove Save et al. buttons that are added by default? How do I add my own button, say "Process" to the custom form?

Too many questions? But I am a newbie in this area and need your support.

Regards,
-RD
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Maxxum,

An sforce control is the way to go with this.  It is not a good idea to have the same data in multiple objects due to the problems in keeping the data up to date in both places.  I like the idea of a "composite" form that displays info from both objects.  That feels like a reasonable approach.

MaxxumMaxxum
Thank you DevAngel for your response.
Just wanted to ensure that I got it right: The only way to get the composite form is through S-Controls, right?

If I build the SControl to display an HTML, how can I ensure the look and feel of SalesForce?

How can I use Javascript to search/update SalesForce record?

Regards,
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi Maxxum,

Yes the scontrol will work nicely.  We will be announcing a beta toolkit (name is still up in the air) that is for excercising the API from javascript.  The way a search would look in this toolkit is something like:

var searchResults = sforceClient.Search("FIND {maxxum}");

for (var i=0;i<searchResults.length;i++) {

//create some html

var sObj = searchResults[i];

alert(sObj.get("id"));

}

And to update a record assuming you still have one of your sobjects from the search:

var updateObj = searchResults[0];

updateObj.set("mycustom_field__c") = "New value";

var saveResult = sforceClient.Update(updateObj);

Hopefully, by the end of this week this toolkit will become available.

Cheers

MaxxumMaxxum
Interesting DevAngel.
I'll look forward to the toolkit.

Thanks for your help.