function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TaukappaTaukappa 

s-control phase out

Is it true that s-controls will be phased out?

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf
Yes, that is true, by the end of 2009 I think.  You can now do in Visualforce everything that you could have done in an Scontrol, and faster and more securely to boot.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
Yes, that is true, by the end of 2009 I think.  You can now do in Visualforce everything that you could have done in an Scontrol, and faster and more securely to boot.
This was selected as the best answer
StatBoyAStatBoyA

Werewolf,

LOL, I'm not SURE your reply really "solves" this thread until I ask a couple more questions... Can you or someone else respond?

(If this is all covered at some web page I simply don't know of, I'd be VERY happy to simply get a URL to that location...)

1. Does your answer that "S-controls will be phased out" mean that existing, older instances of SalesForce will be forced to REPLACE existing S-controls that provide useful functionality? 

In other words, will these STOP functioning?

Or will the inability to use S-controls be limited to NEW instances of SalesForce? 

2 .If the answer to question 1 is that existing S-controls will CONTINUE to function, then will revisions of those S-controls be prohibited?  

Sorry for being so nit-picky and detailed about the follow-up questions.  Thanks MUCH for any additional info provided...

werewolfwerewolf

1. Does your answer that "S-controls will be phased out" mean that existing, older instances of SalesForce will be forced to REPLACE existing S-controls that provide useful functionality? 

In other words, will these STOP functioning?

No, existing S-controls will continue to function.

Or will the inability to use S-controls be limited to NEW instances of SalesForce? 

I believe the inability to create new S-controls will apply to all instances.

2 .If the answer to question 1 is that existing S-controls will CONTINUE to function, then will revisions of those S-controls be prohibited? 

I'm not sure, but I think the answer is no -- you can modify old S-controls but can't create new ones.

StatBoyAStatBoyA

Werewolf,

Thanks MUCH for the additional, USEFUL detail!

SuperfellSuperfell
This is detailed in the release notes for spring release.
TaukappaTaukappa
Thx for all the responses.  We will then just avoid using any s-controls from the start of our implementation.