function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vinnie BVinnie B 

Which is the Best Database Tool for SF?

I saw a similar post on this from 2009 but I'm assuming that's ancient history as far as SFDC is concerned.

I've been using the Query Editor within the Developer Console but have some issues with that:

1) There is no ability to export data to a spreadsheet.

2) It appears that when I use this in a sandbox I don't see the results of joins into parent object.  I do see these results when I'm on our Production system.

I also tried the Force.com Explorer tool but I have problems with this as well.

1) While this works ok as a Data Dictionary, I can't see the type of a given field.  They present all sorts of information I'm not familiar with about the field (i.e. groupable, namePointing), but don't even tell me the field type!

2) I also don't see the results of parent fields when doing simple queries.

I know that running raw queries isn't they way they want you to use Salesforce, but it's often necessary when debugging complex reporting tasks or testing out code development.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

digamber.prasaddigamber.prasad

Hi,

I think for different purposes you have to use different tools. Like if you want data in csv format then use data loader.

Vinnie BVinnie B

I don't think the Data Loader is a tool that allows one to write raw SOQL code and export the results.  If that is the case please let me know and I'll try it out.

I used the Data Loader years ago but my impression was that there were other tools that were much better than that.  For example, we use Apsona which is MUCH easier to use when importing/updating even a fairly large number of records.