function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Carl_VCarl_V 

Has anyone already built this control?

Hi all,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to create an S-control that a) prompts a user to nominate a new revenue schedule start date and then b) automatically modifies the existing revenue schedules to push out by the difference between current and new rev. schedule dates.  Seems easy? Probably is!  I have gotten nowhere after looking for docs on sforce.util (are there any docs???), reading existing examples and scouring the boards.  Any advice on where to start looking would be appreciated...thanks in advance..:smileysad:
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi,

I am polishing something a bit more complex but it does what you want. Give me one or two days more and I can send you (by email) or I will Try to post the code here

Use Case (short)
On an opportunity you create a custom link or a formula field with hyperlink depending on what you want for your UI and then:

you have a new page with the current Close Date of you opp ( I have two other custom dates on the opps so they are here too) and then you have a table with all the line items
with LineItems Name/Product Code###Number of split(for the Schedule)###Schedule Start Date### Schedule end Date### and 3 others custom date on line items.

You are able to select a new close date and if you check the box on the lineItem all Dates (Schedules+Custom) will be shifted from the difference (for me in month I do not care for the exact day but it is just a parameter to switch) between the current close date and the new one.

Hope this meets your requirements.
I can send you a screenshot if you drop me an email chumbert at odyssey-group dot com
Regards

Carl_VCarl_V
Dude - if this code does what you're saying it will then I am going to have to name my next born after you.... will email.:smileyvery-happy:
Carl_VCarl_V
Oops - tried to email but the address and variants thereof bounced.  Perhaps I should wait here?  :smileysurprised:
The_FoxThe_Fox
Give me yours
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi,
Could you also post the error message you have when emailing me

REgards
adamgadamg
I'll name my next server after you if you post whatever you've created to the AppExchange :)
Carl_VCarl_V

My email is cvescovi at danielsinternational dot com - thanks for persisting!

Error I got back from mail server follows;

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Followup to post by The_Fox at sforce.com

Sent: 14/03/2006 8:32 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. Error is [0x80040111-00000000-00000000].

Message Edited by Carl_V on 03-16-2006 08:47 AM

The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi Adam,

I am not sure I will be able to post it on appExchange because I am using custom field proper to us and not necessary for it to work but if you want I can give it to you and you make sure it is postable on the AppExchange.  I  am not after  celebrity :)

PS: On salesforce we have the created date of the scontrol but could you add the column with the last updated date/time. It would be marvelous.

Regards
Carl_VCarl_V
Adam,

Piggy-backing off the source code from The_Fox we now have a working 'generic' version of this s-control running. I'll start looking into how to post the code for others to use. Do you recommend it be distributed as an appexchange type deal or do I just post it here somewhere? Regards, Carl.

Message Edited by Carl_V on 03-16-2006 08:31 PM

BAGELBAGEL
I am new here. Can someone please post the code or email me (bagel99 at rogers.com). I think it will be very helpful for me coming up project. Thanks in advance.

Carl_VCarl_V

Hi Bagel,

Am just in the process of publishing at Appexchange, so users can test drive etc and be sure it's what they're after.  Also, hit a little hurdle in that the current version assumes multi-currency activated.  I am looking at modifying it to accomodate single or multi presently, and will notify on this thread when the final version is right to go. Shouldnt be too long! Regards, Carl_V

BAGELBAGEL
thanks, I will be waiting. :)
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi Carl,

What is the issue with Multi-currency?

If you need some hands and some brain do not hesitate.

Regards
Carl_VCarl_V

Hi Fox,

I was about to publish our s-control and got an error in test environment b/c when we query the calls assume ISOCURRENCY field exists in Opportunity table - crashes if single currency entity.  Thus, either a) two flavours of s-control to distribute or b) simply do an if-then to two queries based on whether multicurrency implemented.  Second option would be better but not sure how to test for existence of multi-currency in the entity that the s-control has been added to - any suggestions?

The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi Carl,

Having look at the sforce beta 3.3. js if you use the getuserinfo there is a boolean for multicurreny in the GetUser Info so with Testing this I think this should be ok.

Regards

PS (for salesforce.com) It seems a bit strange that this info is not available in the Organization info

Message Edited by The_Fox on 03-22-2006 12:10 PM

Carl_VCarl_V
:smileyvery-happy: Ah The_Fox! Many thanks - will work into the code and release - thanks again! :smileyvery-happy:
The_FoxThe_Fox
If you want to send me the generic code I can built it up today. I think I still have a test account

Regards
Carl_VCarl_V

Ok - have gone through the process of publishing the final s-control to appexchange.  *** Note, whilst it says there that I am the publisher, The_Fox contributed the vast majority of code - I've acknowledged that in the source itself ***.  There is also a test environment for you to play with the control in before implementing.  Until the control is approved for publication here is link to it:

**** <Link gone> Have pulled the link because until published there is some changes going on to support documentation and code to comply with publishing requirements - post was a bit presumptuous sorry!

Will advise when has gotten to published stage - not long I hope. Regards Carl_V

Message Edited by Carl_V on 03-24-2006 01:22 PM

AMartinAMartin

Carl and The_Fox,

Thank you so much for this.  I've been waiting over 2 years for this functionality. 

Now, does anyone want to tackle how to schedule multiple products at once when products are initially added to an opportunity.  I don't have any money , but I'm willing to rename my kids after you if you do.  (pending spousal approval).

Aiden

Carl_VCarl_V

Hi Aiden,

This sounds interesting; could you clarify further - step by step how you see this working?  Also re schedule shifter - throw some feedback on the Appexchange review if the control works for you; I'd love to hear how others find it works for them! Regards Carl.

AMartinAMartin
Hi Carl,

Basically, I'm looking for a complete re-write of how products are added to an opportunity and scheduled.

Currently, a user selects product(s) from the product list, and then individually adds a quantity, sales price, and date and then click Save.  If they want to schedule one or more or all of these products, they have to go to the Opportunity product related list and individually establish a schedule on the necessary product.  Most likely, if multiple products are being scheduled, they may have the same schedule parameters.  Kinda inefficient when added mulitple products.

What I would love to see is a process where I can select my products from the product list and then see the following fields:

Quantity   Sales Price       Date       Schedule (T/F checkbox)      Installment Period      # of Installments

Instead of scheduling my products after I add them to the opportunity, I create the schedules when I add them.  The Date, Schedule, Installment Period and # of Installments fields would have an option to carry the first level of values to the remaining line items.  Most likely, the Date, Installment Period and # of Installments values would be the same for all products being scheduled, so why make the user select them for each product?

One problem with this request is that I don't think a custom link can be launched from Product Selection window, so a developer might also have to recreate that form too.  I don't use Quantity scheduling so that isn't a concern for me.

It's a big feature request and one I've been hounding my CSM about for a while but I'm just one person.

Aiden
AMartinAMartin

Hi Carl,

I installed the control into my developer edition and started playing with it.  Unfortuneately, whenever I try to use the control, I get kicked out of sfdc.  I log back in to find that the opportunity close date has updated but not the schedule dates.

Couple of thoughts:

• Will the control be affected by users with different date formats?  mm/dd/yyyy vs dd/mm/yyyy. 
  • What happens if corporate date format is different from users date format?
  • If a product was not originally assigned a date (sales date??) when added to the opportunity, the s-control does not assign the new date to the opportunity line item.  Perhaps it should??
  • For version 2 of this control, how about separate calendar pickers for the opportunity close date and for revenue schedules.  In my company, we generally assume that revenue starts after the close date (gotta take into consideration implementation times, delivery, etc)

Thanks again for such a fantastic piece of work.

If you want to take some of this testing offline. my email is aiden.martin at aliant.ca

Aiden

The_FoxThe_Fox
Hello,

For you being kicked out I have found the issue. I have hardcoded the server you rely on. I will tweak code and made the correction available to Carl_V for him to correct.

Concerning the Sales Date it is very easy to add in the code if you need help on this my email is chumbert at odyssey-group dot com

Concerning
the Schedule, in the control Schedule Date (earliest is always > to Closing Date otherwise you enter the Correct mode) that allows you to correct all the date that are not compliant to your business rule.

Regards
Carl_VCarl_V

Hi Aiden,

Was advised of this 'bumping' also by appexchange admin at same time The_Fox came to rescue with his tweak. Its definitely sorted. I will ensure mod is uploaded to published version asap. Re. modification to include products that dont have schedules - was thinking the same thing for myself actually - will work on it.  Dates shouldnt be a problem. 

Re. Separate revenue schedule start date; if you setup the original schedules 1 month after the close date, then each time you change the close dates the revenue schedules will still be one month out.  They move the same amount as the close date, so already done in a way.

Thanks for positive feedback; we'll keep going until it is bug free and working well :smileywink:

Carl_VCarl_V
A solution to mass manipulation of revenue schedules has now been published on appexchange.

Another version to come out shortly that allows user to select 'order of magnitude' of manipulation - ie days, month, years.

Regards
Carl_V
BAGELBAGEL
good works, and thanks alot :)