function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David-David- 

Remove 'New' button from related list?

Let's say I want to create a custom object called Quote and related list that will appear in the Opportunity tab.  New Quotes will be created via a weblink to a custom web app; that app in turn writes to the Quote object via the API. 

Is it possible to configure something to remove the New button displayed above the related list?  This would enable us to leverage this related list as reference data (like Stage History), but not directly edit data in the custom object from within salesforce.

mmanganommangano
David,

Check this response from Benji about the "new" object in another thread:

http://forums.sforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=general_development&message.id=3081

I haven't tried it out yet....

Mark
SalesforceWatch.com

Message Edited by mmangano on 02-04-2005 07:45 PM

TheBombTheBomb
Is there any way to remove this New button from a related list without removing permissions (not that this has worked in my dev area).

I want to use an s-control to create the objects, but use the standard functionality of related lists on the standard object pages.

For example, we have an 1 to many relationship between 'opportunity' (Opp) and a new object 'business unit' (BU) that has a many to 1 relationship with account. This is all fine with standard relationships until we introduce the requirement that all BUs related to a single Opp must relate to the same account.

Hence I create an s-control to create the BU to Opp link, but I do not want the list on the opportunity tab to show a new link.

Any ideas? Is there anything planned in this winter '06 release?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
darozdaroz
I have something that may be helpful in this area... It's a hack, totally unsupported, and I'll be releasing a How-To shortly after the Winter '06 Release.
TheBombTheBomb
Thanks for the heads up, sound exciting. Is there a chance of a preview?

You could email it to me at: sforce at benbeaumont dot com
darozdaroz
I fully expect that some of those at SFDC will feel I have crossed to 'The Dark Side'(R)(TM)(etc) after I post my how-to, so I won't be letting much out until after Winter 06 releases. After all I'm going to be doing _alot_ with it as it is am immensely useful tool for us, and I wouldn't want it patched and 'fixed' before it ships. :)
benjasikbenjasik
Given that I think I know what this is, I think you can post it. It's not supported, but unlikely to be taken away. Like all unsupported things, you realize that it could break when we release.

We are working on a supported way to do what you guys are looking to do
phoadesymcphoadesymc
Benji,

Now that the Winter 06 release is in place do we have any better idea over the provision of control regading the New, Edit, Delete buttons ?
I am currently working on a workflow project where we are using standard tasks with email alerts to request approvals. We are wanting to stop edit capabilities once a custom object has been submitted for approval.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul
phoadesymcphoadesymc
Now that the Winter 06 release is in place do you have any better idea over the provision of control regading the New, Edit, Delete buttons ?
I am currently working on a workflow project where we are using standard tasks with email alerts to request approvals. We are wanting to stop edit capabilities once a custom object has been submitted for approval. Any ideas? Thanks