function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brothe2000Brothe2000 

Parent Child Information with Chatter

Came across an interesting thing while building out chatter stuff for our org.  The Chatter instances are self contained and do not at this time operate with a Parent Child database like functionality.

This is both a good and bad thing.  Good because all Cases, Contacts, Opportunities..etc would share their "chats" with the parent object which would mean the Account Chatter would be unbearable.

Bad because I can't pick an account to follow all of the rollup chatter happening with the account.

I'm guessing there will probably be a way to figure out how to "Chat" up to the Parent Object what's happening with the children as a setting or a feature.

I could probably also use the "bubble" code to make an "Open/Close" section using visualforce to display the "Chats" for that Account and it's children.

Anybody else played around with this stuff and how they would display the data? 

cloudcodercloudcoder
It is a good idea. You should try writing a little app to demonstrate and post it to the Chatter Dev Zone
SicVancouverSicVancouver

I think this is the case of the type of chatter apps when upon following one object the application suggests other objects to "auto-follow".

Ideally this should be done without declaratively, without need for coding.

e.g. When you click follow on the master record a dialog appears with a checkbox asking you if you want to follow related lists, possibly allowing you to select from a list of related objects.

Another thing which should be declarative IMO to be able to set workflow rules where the action would be to post something to a feed. Could work similarly to an email template. this would be so much better than just seeing the field updates.

Anyways... Chatter is just version 1 (or not even...)

It has a long way to go.

It's nice to see how SalesForce opened it up for developers and basically crowdsourced the ideas of what it should do and how it should work....