function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mtbclimbermtbclimber 

Chatter Board or "Dev Zone"?

If I'm building something and have a question about chatter should I log it on this board or in the chatter dev zone?
Message Edited by mtbclimber on 03-17-2010 03:44 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jon Mountjoy_Jon Mountjoy_

Great question Andrew.  I think folk will naturally ask questions on the Chatter Dev Zone - it is filled with folk exploring, so it's natural that they'll do it, given that they can update their status messages etc.

However, I'd argue it's not the place to ask questions if you're want a better of chance of getting an answer - Chatter is a collaboration environment, not a question/answer/solution environment like the discussion boards.

So while folk can ask questions (and I'm sure they will) in the Chatter Dev Zone, I think they should ideally ask them here.  

All Answers

Jon Mountjoy_Jon Mountjoy_

Great question Andrew.  I think folk will naturally ask questions on the Chatter Dev Zone - it is filled with folk exploring, so it's natural that they'll do it, given that they can update their status messages etc.

However, I'd argue it's not the place to ask questions if you're want a better of chance of getting an answer - Chatter is a collaboration environment, not a question/answer/solution environment like the discussion boards.

So while folk can ask questions (and I'm sure they will) in the Chatter Dev Zone, I think they should ideally ask them here.  

This was selected as the best answer
TehNrdTehNrd

I would agree with Jon. My biggest concern with the "Dev Zone" is that salesforce will try to make this, in a way, replace the forums (*cough* like Answers*cough*) but based on Jon's comments I feel a little better about this.

What has made the dev community and forums successful is that this is a one stop shop for all your force.com dev needs. I fear have multiple areas to get this type of info will make it difficult for people to find what they are looking for and will reduce the value this site provides.