function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
paul-lmipaul-lmi 

Chatter+Facebook+Twitter - Where is it?

You have this page talking about pulling relevant content from Facebook and Twitter,

http://www.salesforce.com/chatter/facebook-twitter-integration/

So...where is the Facebook and Twitter feature set n Chatter?  How is it enabled?  Where do we setup FB and Twitter account info?  The screenshot seems to indicate that the FB connect is on the profile page, but...it's not.  It also seems to indicate that the Twitter integration that already exists (and creates cases) is included/enhanced.  Is this going to be (near) real time, or is it still based on a manual refresh?

Is the "you'll leverage" wording on this page hinting that this isn't available?  If so, shame shame on your marketing folks.  There's no flashy "safe harbor" statement on this page...:)

Cheers,

/p

d3developerd3developer

If you can tell the number of words in the safe harbor statement, maybe you will get an answer from one of the devs.

paul-lmipaul-lmi

heh, guess it's really vaporware/marketing-ware.  i'll open a case with premier support anyways, just to be a pain :)

paul-lmipaul-lmi

support confirms this as "an example of what's possible".  so yeah, vaporware.

d3developerd3developer
paul-lmipaul-lmi

true, but it doesn't address anything discussed in this thread.

d3developerd3developer

Since the latest Force.com Labs package allows you to "create Cases, Contacts, and Leads from Tweets," and, since that was something mentioned in your original critique of the Salesforce marketing material, I'd argue that it does.

paul-lmipaul-lmi

my main critique was the clear vaporware being peddled at the link in the original post.  i also noticed that they have videos peddling the same vaporware on their youtube channel.  the original twitter integration created those objects as well, so that isn't new functionality, it's just much more refined.

i haven't had a chance to use it, because our orgs already have the max limit of custom indexes on Contact, this package requires more, and support takes their sweet time in resolving anything that isn't general user-level issues.

d3developerd3developer

I'm not saying your main critique is affected. I'd argue that it is not. Regardless, this minor development is probably something anyone reading these threads would want to be aware of.

I tend to think that each small step that Salesforce makes towards living up to its marketing material should be meticulously recorded, whether or not the gap is increasing or narrowing. In this case I'd argue that it is narrowing, but in a fairly minor fashion.

LNIngramLNIngram

To a large extent, this gap will be made up when demand for social media management - in Salesforce - becomes clear and obvious.

If you'd like to see these products, please do vote on related Ideas, and rate the Salesforce for Twitter product on the AppExchange (http://bit.ly/sf4twitter2) - this makes interest and demand visible to execs and product management.

- Lauren

Ideas: http://sites.force.com/ideaexchange/communitySearchResults?q=twitter&x=0&y=0

d3developerd3developer

Lauren,

Do you mean that we should give high star ratings or low star ratings to related apps? Will low star ratings move development forward? I also don't think Salesforce can ask for reviews and ratings as a means of assessing customer satisfaction and demand if there is no anonymous option when writing a review...

LNIngramLNIngram

Joel,

I'd love high-star ratings, of course! :) 

But I'm trying to say that we really do look to Ideas - and to the AppExchange, Developer forums, etc -  to gauge customer interest on products, features, and feature requests.  As far as we're concerned, comments and ideas, good or bad, reflect investment on the part of our users, and that's something we pay attention to at every level. 

As far as gauging real customer satisfaction: that takes a highly-trained team a lot of time and effort, and I believe we do have a dedicated team looking at customer satisfaction; we look to customer-interaction sites to find out where our community's going, and what products and features they (you) want.

- Lauren

d3developerd3developer

This is slightly off-topic, but there is a pretty significant difference (IMO) between bug reports and feature requests. If something is broken on the platform it should (also, IMO) automagically get put in list somewhere so the bug gets fixed, not wait until someone puts the an idea for fixing the bug on the Ideaexchange, etc. Probably a bunch of the Force.com Lab apps should be treated similarly since it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to:

(1) Write a review for an app on the AppExchange just to report a bug

(2) Create an idea on the idea exchange for a simple bug fix

(3) To start a new thread on the dev boards to report a bug if it won't actually get fixed (although I do this often)

Also, I think that there should be a publicly accessible bug tracker somewhere like Google uses for their projects. Yes, I could create an idea on the idea exchange about that but I don't find the interface too developer friendly.

paul-lmipaul-lmi

yeah, bug reports definitely don't belong on the appexchange, or the ideaexchange.  at a high level, the only place they "should" go is in this forum, since it's a labs app, and that's only because SF doesn't provide support for labs apps.

for this specific app (and because SF's marketing team is great at selling unsupported and sometimes non-existent solutions), support should be provided by Salesforce.  This is a high profile integration between the two platforms, dev and QA are being done in-house, and it's gotten much more stable than v1.  i think it's time for real support.