function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vspvsp 

Package an S-Control referred in a Hyperlink Formula field

Hi,

I have a hyperlink formula field that links to an S-Control. So it includes: "/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=" followed by the ID of the S-Control.

Now I would like to package this S-Control as part of a Custom App and have other Orgs download and install this. How would this work when the ID is hard-coded in the hyperlink?

1) Does it involve a manual step by the System Administrator of the downloading Org - using the S-Control name to obtain the ID from the address displayed in the browser and visiting the hyperlink to replace with this new ID?
2) Does the process vary between standard and custom - i.e. the custom field being part of a standard object or a custom object?

Any inputs on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
VSP.
michaelforcemichaelforce
I have just posted a question quite similar to this on the "AppExchange Package and Directory" board section:

I have to imagine that they thought of these scenarios and planned accordingly... clever chaps they are.
Ron HessRon Hess
Clever chaps have thought of this.
Yes the id's will get updated to the ID where the package is installed, as long as the scontrol is in the same package.  Done at install time, no need for the admin to perform any edits.
vspvsp
Hi Ron,

Thanks, this is good news. Is there any way to test this now? I have heard that package installation cannot be tested in the pre-release domain given to us, as the login credentials during installation are required for salesforce.com domain and not the pre-release one. So we were told that we have to wait for actual Winter 07 release to be able to test package installation.

It would be good to have ID references in formula fields automatically updated during installation - is this feature testable in pre-release domain?

Thanks,
vsp.
michaelforcemichaelforce

I have a package which includes an s-control which points to documents in the documents tab.  I then uploaded the package from my developer org, installed it in a production customer org and even though the documents then had totally different id's than my dev org... the installation had indeed changed the links in the s-control to point to the correct new document id's.

Very slick.

vspvsp
Hi,

So did you do this installation in the current version, or in the pre-release environment for Winter 07?

Thanks,
vsp.
michaelforcemichaelforce
Winter '07.  And I actually tried installing an app uploaded from a winter 07 org to one that was not yet upgraded.  It didn't work at all.  Curious, but definitely not a big problem since everyone will be on the new release shortly.